Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Arduino IDE for Visual Studio

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-
  • Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties and Verbose
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

HomeSearch Tutorials & Wiki visualmicro.com LoginHelpRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A lot of errors 'was not declared in this scope' (Read 181 times)
Vosreinard
Newbies

A lot of errors 'was not declared in this scope'
Sep 8th, 2019 at 10:31pm

Hi,
In my Rotary Table Project I use two sets .cpp & header files: Wstepper and Wcld.
I get errors in Wstepper.cpp an Wcld.cpp saying about a lot of variables, included over ARDUINO.h, that they are not declared.
What can be mitigated?

RotaryTable_001.zip (3065 KB | 4 )

IP Logged

Simon Hopkinson
Administrator

Re: A lot of errors 'was not declared in this scope'
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:35am

Ensure the include paths for your header files includes the relative path, like below:

#include "src/Wlcd/Wlcd.h"
#include "src/Wstepper/Wstepper.h"

This should resolve the initial errors, and this also detailed on the below page:
https://www.visualmicro.com/page/Understanding-Project-File-Structure.aspx

IP Logged

Vosreinard
Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:24pm

Dear Simon,
Thanks for your reply. Helas Embarrassed, when applying #include "src/Wcld/Wcld.h" instead of #include "Wlcd.h" the program will be thrown back to the situation I had before I posted my previous question "Source file cannot find header file" with answer from Tom Leek. https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1567802164/1#1 .
The problem is as follows: EEPROM.h can be found but not the underlaying functions, etcetera.
again: What can be done to resolve those problems?

IP Logged

Visual Micro
Administrator

United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:44pm

If you click the little icon "show all files" above the solution explorer you can see physical files on disk. Then you will see that you have not included the src sources codes in your project.

Right click them and click "Include in project", then the red warning indicator will be removed.

IP Logged

Vosreinard
Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:19pm

Thanks for reply.
I already has included those files before sending the built log.
Something else must be playing with the devil.

IP Logged

Visual Micro
Administrator

United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:56pm

Have you #include <Arduino.h> in your .cpp code?

Visual Micro and the Arduino IDE only automatically add the #include for .ino code.

IP Logged

Vosreinard
Newbies

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 7:29pm

https://www.visualmicro.com/public_html/yabbfiles/Smilies/dankk2.gif Yes I did without a positive result.https://www.visualmicro.com/public_html/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gi...
In Solutions Explorer I have included RotaryTable.log . Maybe this will be useful.
Edited:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(379,5
): error MSB4018: The "VCMessage" task failed unexpectedly.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(379,5
): error MSB4018: System.FormatException: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.
): error MSB4018:    at System.Text.StringBuilder.AppendFormatHelper(IFormatProvider provider, String format, ParamsArray args)
): error MSB4018:    at System.String.FormatHelper(IFormatProvider provider, String format, ParamsArray args)
): error MSB4018:    at System.String.Format(IFormatProvider provider, String format, Object[] args)
): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ResourceUtilities.FormatString(String unformatted, Object[] args)
): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.TaskLoggingHelper.FormatString(String unformatted, Object[] args)
): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.TaskLoggingHelper.FormatResourceString(String resourceName, Object[] args)
): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.TaskLoggingHelper.LogErrorWithCodeFromResources(String
messageResourceName, Object[] messageArgs)
): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.CPPTasks.VCMessage.Execute()
): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecution
Host.Execute()
): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext()

regards

IP Logged

Visual Micro
Administrator

United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 12:34pm

Thise errrors are visual studio trying to make a build and idicates some unexpected errors. Visual Micro has given up trying to compile or things that it does not have too.

I just compiled your project okay but I had to add

#include <Arduino.h>

and change
#include <Wstepper.h>

to
#include "Wstepper.h"

I notice you have used a couple of arduino from the web. You should not try to compile arduino libraries from within your project code most are not designed for that.

You should make your project work in the arduino ide so you can understand how arduino works. Then if you want local library sources you can use the options on the Add Library menu in visual micro which will create a local copy.

The ideal would be

SolutionFolder
      Libraries
         Library1
      Projects
          Project1

But intiially place libraries in mydocument\arduino\libraries because both visual micro and arduino will consider that valid.

The error you have posted is from the visual studio output window when set to build. Visual Micro adds Micro Build output window with its own reporting.

tip: If the project name, project folder name and an .ino name are all the same then visual micro will consider the project an arduino project and manage it for you.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2019 at 12:35pm by Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print