Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Linker errors with spaces in pathnames (Read 2745 times)
AustinLindquist

Linker errors with spaces in pathnames
Oct 31st, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I updated to the latest version of VM and I'm getting linker errors when trying to compile. My user folder and package folder have spaces and it seems to be throwing a fit.

Code
Select All
arm-none-eabi-gcc*: error: Lindquist\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\Escape: No such file or directory

Any easy way to escape directories?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Linker errors with spaces in pathnames
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Please follow the guide in yellow above so we can review

IP Logged

AustinLindquist

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Sent via email. Link in upper yellow points to sales@visualmicro.com, hope that's okay.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the output but the build ends half way through, before the error.

IP Logged

AustinLindquist

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Do you mean in the text file I sent? I downloaded it and I'm pretty sure the full log is there

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Pls send again. However I noticed you are not using the standard arduino samd toolchain. If that is not your intention then pls delete the following folder and install the arduino samd via board manager if you don't have it installed already.

C:\Users\Austin Lindquist\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\Escape Room Techs

Please give json index path for "Escape Room Techs" package

IP Logged

AustinLindquist

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Toolchain is located at
C:\Users\Austin -2014q1\bin

Escape Room Techs package doesn't have toolchain (no tools folder, etc).

I created the ERT package, it's based off of adafruit feather m0 with some changes to core and additional libraries. I've been using the package for over a year, I decided to update VM, lost deep search, tried to roll back but couldn't remember what version I was on, and updated againĀ  Smiley. Seems to compile fine but linker input path names are no longer escaped?, same setup on my laptop (user name is admin) seems to compile okay even with spaces in package name but not user name?

Package (codebase not current, once package is installed changes are made / tracked with SVN) https://github.com/anidea/aeifx/blob/master/package_escaperoomtechs_index.json

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anidea/aeifx/master/package_escaperoomtechs_in...
Arduino SAMD and Adafruit SAMD packages are installed, I've updated to latest version. Attached build log
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2019 at 1:50pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks, it's interesting. The paths are quoted so we will need to look into it over the next week.

In the meantime you can grab an arduino ide zip and unpack into a folder structure that doesn't contain spaces. Then add a sub folder called portable and move the arduino15 folder fron appData to portable.

Then both arduino ide and visual micro will then use the tool chains and board support packages from the portable folder intstead.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Update. The escape rooms tech doesn't currently build in arduino ide or visual micro. Instead I have uaded a generic samd arduino zero.

The platform.txt of each core is used to create the compiler commands. We can see that they all have double quotes around paths therefore should work fine with spaces.

You can see below that I moved my appdata\arduino15 folder into arduinoide\portable and I also added a space into the path. This builds fine.

Before continuing can you please try to build a new simple project with Arduino Zero selected as the board and then also as the escape room BadAss Controller board.

Below is an example of the build command that contained a space and works for me. 

NB: All the commands you see in the verbose output are independant. You can copy one or more into a .bat file or run from command prompt. Does that work?

Thanks

Code (C++)
Select All
"d:\Arduino\a bi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" "-LD:\System\WinTemp\VMBuilds\rrrr\arduino_zero_edbg\Release" -Os -Wl,--gc-sections -save-temps "-Td:\Arduino\a .4\variants\arduino_zero/linker_scripts/gcc/flash_with_bootloader.ld" " --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs -mcpu=cortex-m0plus -mthumb -Wl,--cref -Wl,--check-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--warn-section-align -o "D:\System\WinTemp\VMBuilds\rrrr\arduino_zero_edbg\Release/rrrr.ino.elf" "rrrr.cpp.o" ariant.cpp.o" -Wl,--start-group "-Ld:\Arduino\a /CMSIS/Lib/GCC/" -larm_cortexM0l_math -lm "D:\System\WinTemp\VMBuilds\rrrr\arduino_zero_edbg\Release/core.a" -Wl,--end-group
## recipe.objcopy.bin.pattern
"d:\Arduino\a bi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy" -O binary "D:\System\WinTemp\VMBuilds\rrrr\arduino_zero_edbg\Release/rrrr.ino.elf" "D:\System\WinTemp\VMBuilds\rrrr\arduino_zero_edbg\Release/rrrr.ino.bin"
## recipe.objcopy.hex.pattern
"d:\Arduino\a bi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy" -O ihex -R .eeprom "D:\System\WinTemp\VMBuilds\rrrr\arduino_zero_edbg\Release/rrrr.ino.elf" "D:\System\WinTemp\VMBuilds\rrrr\arduino_zero_edbg\Release/rrrr.ino.hex"

IP Logged

AustinLindquist

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Sorry it took so long to update! I've been using my laptop to develop and forgot about this issue. I noticed my "Build In Project Intermediate" flag was True and changing it to False allowed building again.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Good to hear it is working. Thanks for the update. we will look into a better error if the folder doesn't exist or fix if a bug.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint