Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic PCBA Layout Software (Read 1978 times)
Rich R

PCBA Layout Software
Jan 20th, 2020 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Hi All,
I have been using Eagle for many years, teaching my daughter layout skills using Adafruit products (in addition to home hobby stuff).  After autodesk purchased the product from Cadsoft, they forced a $15/month subscription fee.  Now, they are bundling this with Fusion 360 and increasing the cost to $60/month.  I think this is way to much for this type of use (non-commercial) so I guess I have to move to a new product.

Suggestions for a replacement that might let me migrate a few designs?  I've heard kicad might be ok, and fritzing.  Anyone have experience with them?  I dont want to re-learn from scratch although I know some things will be different.

Thanks

IP Logged

Acuario

Re: PCBA Layout Software
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 7:10am
Print Post  
I've been using KiCad for years and although it has it's quirks I've always managed to achieve what I wanted. It has outputs for gerber files so you can send directly to pcb fabs.

IP Logged

RichardL
Newbies

Re: PCBA Layout Software
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Hi,

DesignSpark PCB is free from RS Components and works well. I have heard it has a degree of similarity with Eagle. IMHO the weakest part is the component library editor... I've gone round in circles on more than one occasion.

Persist with the design rule checker, it is your best friend.

I send theĀ  manufacturing files to PCBWay and have two and four layer boards arrive from China in seven days... from sending the files to the courier knocking on the door.

A last point; you will almost certainly suffer from the "it's different so it's wrong" syndrome. I always do when migrating to a new program.

Good luck
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2020 at 10:36am by RichardL »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint