Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) No COM ports listed on vMicro toolbar (Read 3205 times)
Jim Moomaw

No COM ports listed on vMicro toolbar
Feb 28th, 2020 at 5:25am
Print Post  
I'm wanting to print from sketch running on ATtiny device on STK600 / AS7 with Arduino environment, but there's nothing listed in the serial port drop-down box next to the monitor button to select.  I don't see how to create or associate a COM port to use as a Console.   

I haven't been successful using the AS7 Terminal feature either.   

Can you point me to instructions on setting this up?  OR, is this not possible with an ATtiny device?

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: No COM ports listed on vMicro toolbar
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Does the arduino ide show a serial port?

IP Logged

Jim Moomaw

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
If I run the Arduino IDE connected to a typically supported board (e.g., the BBLeo I'm using now), yes.  It shows COM5, set to the speed in my Serial.begin statement.  My workaround is to download the sketch to the BBLeo and print from there.  That works.  
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:00pm by Jim Moomaw »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
If you run Visual Micro connected to a typically supported board (e.g., the BBLeo), does Visual Micro show the serial port as COM5 in the list?

IP Logged

Jim Moomaw

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Yep, came right up.  Hadn't thought of trying that.  The serial window has a green Connect, and says 115200, which doesn't match the begin statement.  Seems I can change it to any speed and it keeps working.

Off topic:  What vMicro/Uploader/Hardware Programmer setting would I use to upload from vMicro to the BBLeo?
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:31pm by Jim Moomaw »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Some boards use a more advanced usb connection in background and ignore the speed. 

nb: In software debug mode, the speed will be fixed. You can override the fixed speed on the vMicro>Debugger menu. Switching the tool bar between Debug and Release should auto switch between debug and no debug.

As for programmer you can choose one for your board if you have a programmer or if your board works like a programmer. Most boards do not use a programmer which means it is just standard usb upload.

The arduino ide shows a programmer is selected but normally to use it you have to click "Upload using programmer".

A few boards do not have serial, they are usually configured to use a programmer by default. Which means you don't need to select one from the programmers list. Your ATTiny might be one of this type.

IP Logged

Jim Moomaw

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
The ATtiny is hosted by the STK600, running under AS7/vMicro.  We know there's an active COM5 port for Arduino, but back to the starting question...  when I disconnect the BBLeo and reconnect the STK600 the COM box is empty.  Are we making progress?
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:45pm by Jim Moomaw »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Oh yes, so you have to select a programmer for the ATTiny because it does not have a bootloader and does not have a hardware seral connection? Therefore it does not have a COM port.

If I recall the ATIny has few pins and tiny memory. I think a bootloader is over 2k Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:43pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Jim Moomaw

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
we've been using "AS Device Programming" for Hardware Programmer, which works for uploading & verifying.  The x61 series has serial I/O pins, so it would seem feasible to do serial I/O.  The 861 has 8K of memory, but I'm not using a bootloader.  Not sure how all this applies... just raw info.

IP Logged

Jim Moomaw

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I tried typing COM5 into the serial port box and connecting but console window just says "port failed to open".  There are no COM ports in the dropdown... no change since first post.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I might be missing something but maybe I haven't been clear.

The ATTiny does not have a serial port therefore it will not show up as a COM port on the windows pc.

Does this make sense?

IP Logged

Jim Moomaw

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
That's the answer I was looking for.  (Not the ideal answer, but it's the hard truth.)  It means I need to use my workaround of stuffing the test code into a board that does print.  It works.   

Thanks!  We're done.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Yes runt the same code on another board will work Smiley

If you have enough memory you could use the software serial library and one pin for trace (myserial.println()). For that you need something like an FTDI adapter wihich will connect to a pin on your board > pc usb. That will then show as a serial port.

IP Logged

Jim Moomaw

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I figured something like that might work, but it's just another rabbit hole to go down... more parts, more code, more time futzing around, more questions.  At some point I just need to get the real code working and move on.  You've helped me arrive at a compromise I can live with and defend.   Tx.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint