Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Exception when starting VM (Read 1295 times)
SaturdayScience
Newbies

Exception when starting VM
May 4th, 2020 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I am very new to VM and of limited experience with MSVS.
When I open an existing project the exception error happens [see image file] I have also attached the error file. The error is line 819 at the bottom of the file.

Whatever the error is truly about is beyond me; and it does not interfere with code compilation. 
Question zero: is this error related specifically to VM? 
Question one: is there any reason for me to simply ignore it and continue? Or is there something I should modify?

Every day is a learning opportunity. Thank you to the knowledgeable for sharing with a beginner.
Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Exception when starting VM
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2020 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Please attach the image

IP Logged

SaturdayScience
Newbies

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2020 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Apologies - I thought the image was in the zip.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

SaturdayScience
Newbies

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
And the xml file

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2020 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
When you open an arduino project is is actually just a standard visual studio c++ project. Visual Micro does also not load any code that runs in the code editor. This error seems to be related to visual studio or come other code editing extension.

I suggest ensuring vs up to date (help>check for updates> or running the repair in control panel > add or remove programs > vs

This is the error from your xml file.

Code
Select All
  <entry>
    <record>620</record>
    <time>2020/05/04 10:53:33.765</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>Editor or Editor Extension</source>
    <description>Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.CompositionFailedException: Expected 1 export(s) with contract name uot; but found 0 after applying applicable constraints.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.GetExports(ImportDefinition importDefinition)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.GetExports[T,TMetadataView](String contractName, ImportCardinality cardinality)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.GetExport[T,TMetadataView](String contractName)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.GetExport[T](String contractName)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.GetExport[T]()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.GetExportedValue[T]()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentModelHost.ComponentModel.GetService[T]()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at #x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.VC.CodeAnalysis.ResultTaggerProvider.CreateTagger[T](ITextBuffer buffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at (ITextBuffer textBuffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at ExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject)</description>
  </entry>

IP Logged

SaturdayScience
Newbies

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2020 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
If I open a VS C# solution then I do not get an error. If I open a VM solution then the error pops up like clockwork. That's why I felt there was a connection. 

The Arduino project was started as a clean project aka VM empty Arduino Project. It started with the .ino file and I grew the project from the setup() and loop() functions. 

It isn't a problem as all code compiles and executes. I was simply asking the original questions. 

Thanks for your time.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2020 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. Actually a c# project might not show the issue. Try creating an new empty c++ project such as a widows console app. (not an arduino project)

Regardless of an error appearing it does sound like an extension or vs needs a repair.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2020 at 6:20pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint