Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Compiling Issue for Arduino Uno running Hoodloader2 (Read 4312 times)
DeDz
Newbies

Compiling Issue for Arduino Uno running Hoodloader2
May 9th, 2020 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I can't seem to get my installation of Visual Micro to compile any code when compiling for Arduino Uno running Hoodloader2(https://github.com/NicoHood/HoodLoader2). I can compile/upload the code in the default Arduino IDE, but not in Visual Micro. I've tried choosing all relevant options for board libraries (Hoodloader16u2 and Hoodloader2 Uno, the Uno option works properly in Arduino IDE) but no luck. I did create a board.txt file and add "vm.ctags=false" because that did pop up in the output at one point.

Need some help, I hate having to write my code in vmicro but then compile in Arduino IDE! Embarrassed

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Compiling Issue for Arduino Uno running Hoodloader2
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2020 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Hi,

There is an update due to be released but you can download it from here.

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

If that doesn't help then please follow the guide in yellow above.

Thanks

IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2020 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I've tried installing, no luck unfortunately. I have attached the requested .txt

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2020 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
It would be useful to see the arduino ide verbose output but I suspect the issue is related to an out of date board manager arduino avr package. The avr is also installed below the arduino ide and I guess arduino is using that when visual micro is using the one you have in board manager. 

I see you have a custom board.txt and there is a non-arduino hood platform with a modified platform.txt that relies on a later avr toolchain than the one in board mnager.

Solutions

One solution is to use board manager to update your downloaded arduino tool chains. 

Another solution is to dump the downloaded arduino board manager package by deleting "C:\Users\monke\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\arduino". This would mean using board manager to re-download any arduino 32 bit packages that you use but this time don't download the Arduino AVR package.

Restarting Visual Studio or click the Rescan option should then build okay.

IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2020 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Sorry but I don't think I understand. I've tried deleting the file suggested and updating with board manager but I'm not having any luck. Everything seems up to date (vMicro, Arduino, and Hoodloader2)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Please delete this folder and restart Visual Studio C:\Users\monke\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\arduino

If you have a problem after that please provide the build output in yellow above again so we can see the config has changed.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2020 at 8:49pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2020 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Okay, so after deleting that folder and restarting this is the output. I do appreciate the time

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:36am
Print Post  
What is in your board.txt?

There appears to be an entry for vm.ctags=false. Can you remove this entry and try building again?
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2020 at 4:48pm by Simon@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2020 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
That was actually the only entry in the board.txt file. Here is a the output with that entry removed.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2020 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Please switch off debugging and submit the report again. It's easier to diagnose without debug.

IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2020 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Round 2!

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2020 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Would it be possible to attach or email over a copy of the sketch in use in this scenario?

I am having trouble replicating this reliably at present (as not ofay with the HoodLoader2 bundle), and not sure which example is best to replicate (from HID Library, or Hoodloader2 Package)

IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2020 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
I tried attaching but it seems my solution is too big. So I've linked to a dropbox that contains the code. 
Dropbox Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/050iuii6e0t6eur/AAD5tseKIoborMdC6SJfC2hJa?dl=0

If you prefer email, should I email this to sales@visualmicro.com? If so does it matter what email I send from?

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - May 15th, 2020 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the solution, and I have managed to repro this, but only with what appears to be the wrong board (from the output given in compilation).

Using: Arduino 1.8.12, HID Library v1.0 (from Arduino IDE) , and v2.0.5 of the Hoodloader board package, with HID-master lib 2.6.1, which all seems to be the same.
It builds for me on the HoodLoader216u2 board in both Arduino IDE and Visual Micro.
It fails on the Hoodloader2 Uno board in both Arduino IDE and Visual Micro for the same reason, though this is not clear from the output in vMicro at present.

Code
Select All
libraries\HID-master\src/HID-Project.h:35:2: error: #error HID Project can only be used with an USB MCU. 

Could you attach the log from the Arduino IDE as well, with the Preferences > Show Versbose Output > Compilation option checked, and confirm which board is selected, and IDE version?

IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2020 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
So something strange has happened. Previously I was compiling successfully in Arduino IDE using the "Hoodloader2 Uno" option, but now that one is not working. When I switch it to "16u2" the code compiles and uploads fine. So I tried again using vMicro, the "Hoodloader2 Uno"option doesn't work but the "16u2" option not only compiles successfully but uploads. Hmmm.

Would you still like to see the output? At this point I feel bad using up your time and am just happy that I can finally develop in MS Visual Studios properly now.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #15 - May 15th, 2020 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update and thought. It helps other users to know about these issues and to understand how to resolve.

I am sure Simon will have some questions or observations for you early next week. 

One point of note is that it is possible you were previously using an older hood package in Board Manager. You could try using Arduino IDE Board Manager to install an older version. Then restart Visual Micro.

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2020 at 6:33pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

DeDz
Newbies

Reply #16 - May 15th, 2020 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Certainly! I'll keep checking and try to help as much as I can. I appreciate the effort from you guys. I was worried this wouldn't get resolved and I'd be stuck.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint