Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Serial Port on MKR1000 Disappears After Adding Breakpoint (Read 1737 times)
yaletowneric
Newbies

Serial Port on MKR1000 Disappears After Adding Breakpoint
Jul 8th, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I've been working on a program for a week or so now with vMicro on a MKR1000 using the serial debugger and it's been working great. This morning I added  breakpoint to a constructor of one of my classes (maybe a mistake...). As soon as I did the upload the serial port disappeared from Windows never to return. I can put the board into bootloader mode and the bootloader COM port shows up (and the onboard LED pulses, which I assume indicates that it is in bootloader mode), but no combination of changing computer, trying to upload, reinstalling the Arduino IDE, etc. will make the main COM port responsive again to let me upload the code.

Any ideas or am I the proud owner of an Arduino brick?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Serial Port on MKR1000 Disappears After Adding Breakpoint
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I doubt the breakpoint is related. 

You are saying that windows is not showing any usb ports. Please open device manager and see what ports or devices are displayed? More info ...

You can see similar MKR1000 reports on google for "Serial Port on MKR1000 Disappears"

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=564418.0

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:06pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

yaletowneric
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Actually, made a bit of progress. I was able to get the blink example to load via the boot loader (I'd reverted to using the Arduino IDE directly which failed, but when I tried again in vMicro it worked), which restored the COM port and things seem to be roughly back to normal and if I delete the breakpoints in the constructors things work. Putting a breakpoint in the constructor does replicate the issue.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Interesting to know thanks. We will have to add a note to the docs. Because you are using serial debugging the Serial object needs to be instantiated before it can be used. I guess your constructor is static? it must be being used before the arduino core is available.

The MKR1000 should support hardware debug which would allow for lower level debugging outside of the Arduino core. Take a look at the Hardare Debug menu in Visual Micro when the MKR1000 is selected. It will show a list of suggested debuggers.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:41pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

yaletowneric
Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick support, and yes I think that must be what's happening, the constructor is being called for a global instance of the class.

I coincidentally ordered up the Atmel ICE yesterday, so should be covered going forward.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Great, thanks for the report.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint