Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Lost menu Items and vMicro doesn't hit breakpoing (Read 2100 times)
Greybeard

Lost menu Items and vMicro doesn't hit breakpoing
Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:14am
Print Post  
My eventual aim is to determine if vMicro will work with Atmel Ice and Visual Studio and/or Atmel Studio.  But, let's start with something simple and straight forward.   

Working with Visual Studio and Arduino DUE -- ATMEL ICE will come later.

I am missing menu items -- The menu item 'Micro Board Debug Options' which includes 'Hardware Device', 'Local Debug Port', and 'Compiler Optimization' is missing on the main menu bar and on the vMicro->Debugger dropdown.  I have tried both the vMicro->Toolbar Auto Visibility  and the main usual View->Toolbars to get it to show up. No joy.

The vMicro->Debugger->Automatic Software Debugger is supposed to proved serial debugging when the Debug Options is active but it does not allow optimization control.  I would like to see those again. 

Next.  The simple arduino sketch I'm working with is the example Blink without Delay.  The compiled output is attached but not sure it is needed.  I have set breakpoints consisting of conditions and actions but the break points are never hit nor is there anything posted to the output windows or serial window.  Not the behavior I expected.

Note:  I am not an expert on vMicro but I have had occasion to use it successfully recently.  It seemed to work a few days ago, at least the serial debugger would print information to the output window and the expression screen.  Also, the menu's were visible.

Let's get the basics back then I'll move on to determining if  ATMEL ICE will work with VS and/or AS7.

Thanks
Let

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Lost menu Items and vMicro doesn't hit breakpoing
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:29am
Print Post  
A few initial questions and points

What is in the local project "board.txt". Please show screen shot of the "vMicro>Debugger" menu

Info

Your build output shows that the Serial debugger is not active, that is why the debugging has not started. 

The "automatic debugging" setting enables the serial debugger when the vs configuration is set to "Debug" (as opposed to Release). If you set "vMicro>Debugger>Debug : Off" then the debugger will not start. 

The "vMicro>Debugger>Debug" option overrides the automatic debugging. "Automatic debugging" is simply designed to make it easier for new users who only need to switch between Release and Debug.

The Serial debug port defaults to the upload port. To alter the Local and Remote port use the "vMicro>Debugger>Override Local Port" and "vMicro>Debugger>Override Remote Port" options.

The "Board Options" bar contains the special options that have been included by the manufacturer of the core you are using. The AVR boards don't have any Board Options, therefore the tool bar is empty.

The options you refer to on the Board Options menu are not on that menu, they should be on the vMicro>Debugger menu.

IP Logged

Greybeard

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Attached is the vMicro->Debugger drop down

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Are there some options above "Automatic Debugging"?

IP Logged

Greybeard

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:50am
Print Post  
There was a few days ago but no more.  The missing items were also on the main menu headers also but no more.  These are the items i need to get back

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 2:02am
Print Post  
What is in the board.txt that you have added to the project?

IP Logged

Greybeard

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 2:20am
Print Post  
I didn't add it. it came along when I added a copy from the basic arduino examples.  File attached.  Don't think it has any effect.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 11:01am
Print Post  
There isn't a board.txt with any examples. It is created when you click Add Code>Board.txt

I see you have changed some of the defaults on the debug menu. I suspect you have also been into the vMicro>General>Global Options and that you have switched off "GDB Enable". That is the reason why the debug menu items have disappeared.

It's a good idea not to change any settings until you have proved each part of Visual Micro you want to use. Then when something breaks you will have a clearer idea of what you changed.

The "Local Port" you mentioned applies only when you have a hardware debugger selected that allows for a port to be specified such as GDBStub and Black Magic Probe. The Atmel ICE will not be one of them.

The serial debugger and the hardware debuggers have different options because they have different capabilities.

IP Logged

Greybeard

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Stare at something Long enough you start to see what you want to see.  Fat fingered that one Sad

vMicro is doing what it did before.  Can now move on using ATMEL ICE  I'll do another post on that but basic question is can I use it for anything more that downloading code?? Can I use it as a Debugger with VS and AS7. e.g.; stop, step, change, step-into etc? or am I wasting my time to try

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
You certainly can use it for debugging, the below page shows how to do this, and the connections required:-
How to debug an SAM with an Arduino project and GDB?

Further videos about hardware debugging and GDB can be found on our Videos page, and our YouTube Channel.

If you are using Atmel Studio then read the Atmel Studuio 7 page. In AS7 we hand over to Atmel Studio Device Programming and Debug Tools and whatever they can do. This applies only to Atmel hardware such as AVR, SAM. There is no debugging in AS7 for non-atmel boards other than Visual Micro's Serial/Wifi debug. https://www.visualmicro.com/page/Arduino-for-Atmel-Studio-7.aspx
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:23pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Greybeard

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks.  I will post my ATMEL ICE Problems as a different post.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint