Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Advanced Library Options Entries not visible any more @ Atmel Studio 7? (Read 2118 times)
Rick@VM
Newbies

Advanced Library Options Entries not visible any more @ Atmel Studio 7?
Jul 25th, 2020 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Hi!

The Advanced Library Options entries in menu "Add Library" are not visible any more?
https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Add-Libraries.html
After fresh installation of Visual Micro @ Atmel Studio 7 all advanced entries where shown. But after playing around with the first steps in creating a new project and programming, the entries disappears.
Now only 1 grayed out entry is visible.(see picture)
Most time there are no options displayed.
All entries @ "Add or remove buttons / Customize" are there and customizeable. (see picture).

Why are the options are not visible any more?
These option are important for me because I need the possibility of cloning libraries with labeling of the library-version @ project folder.

Atmel Studio 7 (Version: 7.0.2397 - )
OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Platform: Win32NT

Installed Packages: Arduino IDE for Atmel Studio 7 - 2020.708.0
Arduino IDE for Atmel Studio 7
Version: 2020.708.0
Package GUID: 324cac6d-ff67-4e2e-8fc9-7a587b2d6045
Company: Arduino Team @ Visual Micro

Regards Rick
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2020 at 2:26pm by Rick@VM »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Advanced Library Options Entries not visible any more?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Hi

They are currently only support in Visual Studio because it supports shared C++ projects. Atmel studio uses a different system so it is on the To Do list.

We will make the docs clearer. Thanks for the report.

IP Logged

Rick@VM
Newbies

Re: Advanced Library Options Entries not visible any more?
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim!

Is there another way to store my used libraries (with versionindex) together with my project files at a specific path (with Visual Micro) @ Atmel Studio 7?

Regards Rick
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2020 at 2:25pm by Rick@VM »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Advanced Library Options Entries not visible any more @ Atmel Studio 7?
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Yes there is. Ideally we would use a "Libraries" sub folder below the project. However Atmel Studio would not allow that because it shows a "Libraries" node in the solution explorer. Therefore you have to use the following folder "project/src/_micro-api/libraries".

If you copy the Servo library from the arduino to your [PROJECT_FOLDER] the library folder would then be as follows:

[PROJECT_FOLDER]/src/_micro-api/libraries/Servo

NOTES 

• After you make a copy of a library you need to refresh the solution explorer then "Right Click > Include" the library soources into the project. Otherwise you will get build errors. 
  • The "Examples" folder below a library should not be included in the project but can exist on disk. 
  • If working with a v2 library (that has an \src folder) you can "Right Click > Include" the "src" folder to quickly include all the library sources.

We are working on a simpler solution where you would just copy libraries to the project \Libraries folder with windows explorer. Also to allow configuration of library folder search paths per project.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:44pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Rick@VM
Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Hi Tim!

I used the option "Import local arduino library" @ right click menue\new for copying a #included library from the core for testing.
This option is not maked with the VM-Logo but I think this belongs to VM?
(I cant´t find the option in the following message box "show sketch core and library files". Where is that option located?)
See pictures.

Quote:
After you make a copy of a library you need to refresh the solution explorer then "Right Click > Include" the library soources into the project. Otherwise you will get build errors.

I can´t find the option for refreshing the solution explorer. How can I make this?
Also the option "Right Click > Include". There is no such option
see picture

Quote:
If working with a v2 library (that has an \src folder) you can "Right Click > Include" the "src" folder to quickly include all the library sources.

dito

What means the option"publish library"? I can't find any description for that option.

From what "source" are the "core libraries"?
Are they from the Arduino IDE path, from Atmel Studio 7 or from the VM-plugin (micro explorer)?
In the VM-Help you can read that the Arduino-IDE path is necessary for this (https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=First-steps.html)but you can also read that since the micro explorer exists that installing the arduino-IDE is not necessary any more(https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Getting-started.html).

What prevents the so called "core" from automatic updating (and modyfying my project code)?

Regards Rick
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2020 at 9:03am by Rick@VM »  

IP Logged

Rick@VM
Newbies

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I've got problems with the forum?
"You don't have the permissions to add attachments"
...and I also can't modify my pictures after posting for a smaller size??
After loging out and in again it works again for the post above
But I can't add a new attachment (picture) to this post.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:54pm by Rick@VM »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
That normally happens if there is an "Update Session" tab on the blue ribbon bar above. It happens if your session has timed out of if a logon from a different browser or pc has happened.

Import local library does the same and auto refreshes the explorer. The refresh button is a little icon above the solution explorer with tip "show all files". It switches between what is actually included and physical file/folder view, also does refresh.

The "Import" option copies the sources of libraries currently used in the ..ino code to  folders below the current project. Then you are editing a copy of the libraries. After you edit them if you click "Publish" on a library that will copy it to the sketchbook libraries folder so the library can be used by other projects or arduino ide. Sketchbook libraries are usually stored in "MyDocuments/Arduino/Libraries"

The "vMicro>Show hidden" files option simply allows you to more easily view/explore the sources of libraries alongside the project code. This shows shortcuts to the original library sources.

The Arduino IDE is installed with some default libraries. You can download the same libraries using the library manager in the Arduino IDE or Visual Micro. When you download a library in vsiaul micro or the Arduino IDE it is downloaded to "MyDocuments/Arduino/Libraries/[LibName]". If you use Visual Micro with the NoIDE option then you need to download those libraries if you want to use them.

Adding or Importing a COPY of an Arduino library isolates the sources alongside the current project code, makes source control easier and gives a seperate protected version of the library sources that will not be auto updated when you update the arduino ide, use library manager.

You should ignore anything related to "Core" other then use "vMicro>Show hidden files" to view the core sources. The arduino cores are supplied by various authors and can be installed via Board Manager in the Arduino IDE or Visual Micro. Some cores some with additional libraries which can be overriden or isolated by copying or importing them into the project "src\_micro-api\libraries" folder.

If you have an Arduino Uno/, Mega, Leonardo or similar then that board will use the AVR core. The AVR core is the only core that is installed with the Arduino IDE. If you are not using the Arduno IDE then you need to install the AVR core via Board Manager.

Does this answer questions?
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2020 at 2:43pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Rick@VM
Newbies

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim!

Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 27th, 2020 at 2:18pm:

The arduino cores are supplied by various authors and can be installed via Board Manager in the Arduino IDE or Visual Micro. Some cores some with additional libraries which can be overriden or isolated by copying or importing them into the project "src\_micro-api\libraries" folder.

I tried to use VM without arduino IDE (NoIDE) and install the "core code" via Micro Explorer but can't find any core code. Where are the cores locaded for installing without Arduino IDE?

As you wrote, the cores witch are supplied by the Arduino IDE are supplied by various authors.
What prevent that core code that supplies the basic functions for almost ervey librarys to change by one of these authors by an update process cause e.g. a failure has gone public.
Of course in fact that I only use the portable Arduino IDE the core code will never be altered when I never use/start the IDE or when I copy the core code from the IDE outside and store them "stand-alone" in the Arduino IDE folder location (if that works?).

Quote:
Adding or Importing a COPY of an Arduino library isolates the sources alongside the current project code, makes source control easier and gives a seperate protected version of the library sources that will not be auto updated when you update the arduino ide, use library manager.

When I copy a library to "src\_micro-api\libraries" only this library is used for generating my project code?
In other words the same labeled library e.g. provided with the Arduino IDE (e.g. LiquidCrystal) which is located at the IDE path is ignored by the compiler and is NOT USED cause libraries located in the "src\_micro-api\libraries" path are first used even if they have the exact same name/label?

I also installed Visual Studio Community Edition for playing around.....

I tried to include more than one library at once but can't find a way to do this (also inm Atmel Studio).
So I done this one by one in order for using the automatic copy function with version labeling for aprox 10 libraries. The VS crashed. After restarting and restoring the project the #includes were greyed out and the "link" between were lost.
The idea behind was to generate a local library summary for using them in Atmel Studio.

Regards Rick
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:52pm by Rick@VM »  

IP Logged

Rick@VM
Newbies

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Rick@VM wrote on Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:50pm:
Hi Tim!

Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 27th, 2020 at 2:18pm:

The arduino cores are supplied by various authors and can be installed via Board Manager in the Arduino IDE or Visual Micro. Some cores some with additional libraries which can be overriden or isolated by copying or importing them into the project "src\_micro-api\libraries" folder.

I tried to use VM without arduino IDE (NoIDE) and install the "core code" via Micro Explorer but can't find any core code. Where are the cores locaded for installing without Arduino IDE?

As you wrote, the cores witch are supplied by the Arduino IDE are supplied by various authors.
What prevent that core code that supplies the basic functions for almost ervey librarys to change by one of these authors by an update process cause e.g. a failure has gone public.
Of course in fact that I only use the portable Arduino IDE the core code will never be altered when I never use/start the IDE or when I copy the core code from the IDE outside and store them "stand-alone" in the Arduino IDE folder location (if that works?).

Quote:

Also the hole core code is copyed to the project and isolated from the Arduino IDE?
But I can't see the core *.cpp files in the solution explorer or in windos explorer.
They are only located at the _micro-api-readonly section (when using the show hidden files option) not at the _micro-api path.

When I copy a library to "src\_micro-api\libraries" only this library (and automatic copied core functions) is used for generating my project code?
In other words the same labeled library e.g. provided with the Arduino IDE (e.g. LiquidCrystal) which is located at the IDE path is ignored by the compiler and is NOT USED cause libraries located in the "src\_micro-api\libraries" path are first used even if they have the exact same name/label?

I also installed Visual Studio Community Edition for playing around.....

I tried to include more than one library at once but can't find a way to do this (also inm Atmel Studio).
So I done this one by one in order for using the automatic copy function with version labeling for aprox 10 libraries. The VS crashed. After restarting and restoring the project the #includes were greyed out and the "link" between were lost.
The idea behind was to generate a local library summary for using them in Atmel Studio.

Regards Rick

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2020 at 3:04pm by Rick@VM »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
I suggest we start this thread again in two different threads.   

1)
If you want to work with libraries in a different way to normal arduino then please open a thread with a question that describes how you want things to work. There are various options and I am having difficulty understanding which to explain. Also state of you have understanding of the Arduino IDE and the concept of Library Manager.

2)
If you would like to discuss cores then please open a thread about cores and state which board you are using. Also state of you have experience of the Arduino IDE and the concept of Board Manager.

Thanks

IP Logged

Rick@VM
Newbies

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Hi!

What do you mean with:

Quote:
Also state of you have understanding of the Arduino IDE and the concept of Library Manager.

Quote:
Also state of you have experience of the Arduino IDE and the concept of Board Manager.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Do you know about the Library Manager and Board Manager?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint