Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to alter Visual Studio colors and manage breakpoints? (Read 1138 times)
Livio

How to alter Visual Studio colors and manage breakpoints?
Feb 4th, 2021 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
And now I want to speak about debugging problems I found. 

Now go back to the project of previos post.
We are arrived at line 55, whe are stop there, at the breakpoint, see screensho5.jpg

My opinion? The slight gray highlight is not visible enough, better an Yellow arrow as in Atmel Studio.

Now I decide to put one other break point at line 63, I click on the left and a red dot appear. Well, I think.

Now I press Continue/Step >>> THE PROGRAM RUN, DON'T STOP !!!

As you can see in screenshot6 it's impossible not to pass through line 63.

Did I do something wrong?

I have done some operations that I considered logical based on my experience, I confess that I have not watched any tutorial on how to debug in Visual Micro.

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:00pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: How to alter Visual Studio colors and manage breakpoints?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Breakpoint Color

The colors are standard Visual Studio, you can configure your own or use the Theme defaults.

Stopping at breakpoints

There are options to either stop or trace and other options for breakpoints. If you added a message to your breakpoint it will probably have enabled the "Continue Execution". Please submit a build log with reports such as this so that we can see what options you have configured and explain what is happening.

IP Logged

Livio

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Breakpoint Color:    Ok I will check other Theme

Stopping at breakpoint:  

Quote:
There are options to either stop or trace and other options for breakpoints. If you added a message to your breakpoint it will probably have enabled the "Continue Execution". Please submit a build log with reports such as this so that we can see what options you have configured and explain what is happening.

I only click on the left and a red dot appear, I don't set anymore.

in any case now the problem is to have Atmel-ICE working, because now is connected but not working, as you suggest i will open other thread about this.
Thank you.
Livio

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
If you do not have the ICE working then maybe you were using the serial debugger. It is very important that we know what you are doing otherwise we can not help you quickly. The build output requested in yellow above shows us most of what we need to know.

The Serial debugger is more limited for exploring code in underlying cores and libraries.

Please post the output if you need more assistance here.

IP Logged

Livio

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 9:46am
Print Post  
As I say in other post I start again, disinstall all and reinstall all triyng to follow letterally your instructions on web.
Now I have a fresh installation  of Visual Studio, Arduino IDE and Visual Micro in Windows 10 Pro.
I have a board MKRWiFi1010 connected to PC via USB, but only for power, NO data connection, the USB cable has only two wires: GND and +5V and I don't see the COM port in Windows Device Manager.
Atmel-ICE connected to USB, I can see it in Windows Device Manager, and connected to the board, from SAM Port, with JTAG cable.

VS: I create a new project: VM Blink Led Example.
VS: I set Atmel-ICE as programmer.
vMicro - Debugger I set Atmel-ICE as Hardware Debugger.
vMicro - General - Global Options - "Gdb and Chip Debugging" is set a True by the default installation.
See attached screenshot.

GO. vMicro - Build & Upload  Well. It works! The Led flash ! So Atmel-ICE can upload the board!

Now go ahead. 
I click on the left side to add a breakpoint. A red dot appear. Ok, I think. Build & Upload. The program run without stopping at breakpoint.

What is missing or wrong?

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments
IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 10:12am
Print Post  
To start the GDB Debugging session you can:
1) Build & Upload As normal, then press Debug > Attach to Process (this will enter debugging wherever the program is at the time)
2) Press Debug > Start Debugging (this will do the Build & Upload, and then begin debugging at the start of the program)

IP Logged

Livio

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Ok, with Debug - Start Debugging it works, the program stops, it stop on the first instruction on main(), see attached image.
I don't understand what it means, but if I press [> Continue] the program run untill my breakpoint.

The program is from VM Led Blink Example.

I am a bit confused between the Visual Studio commands and the vMicro submenu commands.

Today is a beautiful sunny day here in Rome, after seeing Atmel-ICE stop at my breakpoint I appreciate it a lot more.  Smiley

Thank you
Livio
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2021 at 11:20am by Livio »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint