Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How use other toolchain? (Read 2122 times)
doc arduino
Newbies

How use other toolchain?
Jul 4th, 2021 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Somehow another avr-gcc toolchain is not used. I select my newer toolchain as always in AS7> Properties > Advanced, add the flags as always and notice when using new keywords that they are not known.
In projects without vMicro plugin this works.  With vMicro unfortunately not. Or does this have to be made known somewhere else? Is vMicro not interested in the AS7> Properties > Advanced setting?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: How use other toolchain?
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Hi

Because Visual Micro is Arduino compatible we use the same build system and configuration as the Arduino IDE. Toolchains and packages are installed via the Board Manager in Visual Micro or Arduino IDE.

Visual Micro only uses the Atmel IDE for code edit, intellisense and hardware debug. The build system is unrelated therefore the atmel project properties have no effect.

Please see Board Manager in our docs for some initial reading. The Board manager does provide a list of auto-discovered board packages (toolchains) but there are thousands more on the web. Any guide for the Arduino IDE works for Visual Micro.

https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=index

Does this help?

IP Logged

doc arduino
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2021 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I think we have misunderstood each other.  Smiley 
I don't want to change the board but work with a current avr-gcc toolchain. And not only with the naked AS7 but also with vMicro.

Does vMicro install files to C:\Users\Worker\AppData\Local\Arduino15 ?
I do not have an installed Arduino IDE.

Anyway, this made me think that vMicro could use this path and I put for the "Nano Every" in the folder C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.8.7\
added a customized platform.local.txt. This is now used by vMicro and I am back up to date.

For standard Uno & Co this would be:
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3.

If you have a current avr-gcc toolchain write the following lines in a platform.local.txt for example

Code
Select All
compiler.path=C:\avrToolchain\avr-gcc-11.1.0_mingw32_binutils2.36.1/bin/
compiler.cpp.flags=-c -g -Os {compiler.warning_flags} -std=gnu++20 -fno-exceptions -fpermissive -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -Wno-volatile
compiler.cpp.extra_flags=-fno-sized-deallocation -Wall

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2021 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Okay I see thanks.

Makes sense, you can also use a board.txt in the local project folder for testing this type of thing. It does similar to platform/board.local but overrides all.

By default new board packages are installed into C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Arduino15 but that can be changed if required.

Am I right in believing that you have found the solution that you needed?

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2021 at 9:44pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

doc arduino
Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2021 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Yes solution is found.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint