Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ESP32 and FreeRTOS configuration (Read 2427 times)
Duggle

ESP32 and FreeRTOS configuration
Jul 13th, 2021 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
So far with VM everything pretty well just works which is great about this environment.
I'm using cloned libraries so everything for the project is together in the folder.
It seems that the FreeRTOS layer is not organised as a simple include library, that I can tell.
So far I just use the Rtos functions and every thing works. But now I'm deeper into the project and I need vTaskList(). Intelisense knows about it but it fails to build. Then I remember that there is a FReeRTOSConfig.h that one uses to configure the rtos for the project. I find a file is buried deep in the system folders not in my project folder where I would expect to have a local editable version. (I'm assuming I need to switch something on to make vTaskList() available)
Thanks

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: ESP32 and FreeRTOS configuration
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report.

Are you using a FreeRTOS Library, or the in-build elements supplied with the ESP32 core for example?

IP Logged

Duggle

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
I'm using built in FreeRTOS support. I looked but couldn't find an external ESP32 FreeRTOS library in case it would give me the control and organisation of files in my project.

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for confirming.

This thread implies that the function is not available in the Arduino ESP32 FreeRTOS build, however does offer a way to check on a tasks' state without the need for this function:
https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/issues/1089#issuecomment-364580749

I believe the IDF components supplied within the Arduino IDE are pre-configured, so changing the FreeRTOSConfig.h may not change the result (which has been my experience testing today).

If you do find changing the core file exposes the functionality needed, we can see if it can be replaced at build time using the build hooks, as not sure there is another option at present for this level of configuration.

IP Logged

Duggle

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 1:31am
Print Post  
I tried adding
#define C***_USE_TRACE_FACILITY
#define C***_FUNCTIONS
(maybe you could ease the forum rules about All Caps Smiley)
I added these lines to the FreeRTOSConfig.h which is available in the External Dependencies of the solution. Made no difference.
The thread you linked is definitely about arduino-esp32 but it seems that some of the posts claiming success relate to IDF builds?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Thanks, the caps lock limit has been relaxed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint