Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Using GIT with Visual Studio 2019 / Visual Micro (Read 1233 times)
Danno
Newbies

Using GIT with Visual Studio 2019 / Visual Micro
Aug 4th, 2021 at 2:41am
Print Post  
I am a fairly seasoned software developer. I have used GIT with Visual Studio 2019 (and prior versions) for years now.  However, I'm just a little bit stymied by the implementation of Visual Micro, and how to best use GIT to track my projects because of the fact that it seems to want (strongly prefer) to store all projects in the MyDocuments/Arduino directory (which also happens to be where the libraries folder is located, which is huge).  I was thinking, well, I can just use the .gitignore file to ignore that entire folder.  But when I tried that, I get this strange error message:  "Invalid slug. Slugs must be lowercase, alphanumerical, and may also contain underscores, dashes, or dots."  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'd really prefer to store my projects in a different location, but when I went to configure that (the "Optional sketchbook location") it says "best to leave empty, also affects location of libraries and hardware".  And that seemed like a pretty good deterrent.  Why can't it be smart enough to walk and chew gum at the same time?  I mean, this seems pretty crazy to me.  And it's hard for me to imagine not being able to use GIT with Visual Studio.

Any thoughts?

Dan

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Using GIT with Visual Studio 2019 / Visual Micro
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 8:57am
Print Post  
The Sketchbook folder is simply the default location for storing your projects, and for finding the user installed libraries and and hardware files.

You can store your projects/solutions in any location on your machine without issue, and to control the library versions more accurately you can use the Shared Projects, and Clone Library with Version Number functionality shown in the video below:

Control Arduino Libraries with Shared Library Projects

IP Logged

Danno
Newbies

Re: Using GIT with Visual Studio 2019 / Visual Micro
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you!  That was immensely helpful.  I think I understand a bit better now.  I just knew there had to be a good way to do this!  But it was just a little confusing.

This whole concept of using Visual Studio to do Arduino work seems like a bit of smoke and mirrors.  But I love the idea of being able to use an environment that I'm already quite familiar with!  The Arduino IDE is woefully inadequate by comparison.  And then I was trying using Visual Studio Code, and the plugins for Arduino that work with it, and was just getting myself more confused.  And then I found Visual Micro!  But without GIT (and SourceTree), that would be an incomplete solution, in my view.  Having some sort of source code management tool is essential to software development.

Again, thank you.  Smiley

Dan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint