Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Target to create a static library (Read 1962 times)
Taragorm
Newbies

Target to create a static library
Nov 1st, 2021 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Is there any way to make a project that builds to a static lib instead of an image?

I have a esp32 project that links huge numbers of files, which is causing linker failures (because the command line is too long), and takes a long time. I got it to link only by moving the temp dir and shortening the paths, but that's a stopgap, not really a solution.

If I could pre-link the main libs into a .a, that would improve things immeasurably.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Target to create a static library
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
There are a few things that can be done. +We are considering adding options to the IDE that should avoid some of the donkey work to implement it.

The following guide for "dot_a_linkage" and "precompiled" gives some insight. https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/Software-Static-Library/. ;

Ignore the article when it explains how to see verbose output and the build folder. You can follow the guide in the yellow box above to enable verbose output. 

Visual Micro uses the same build rules as the arduino ide which is why the above link also applies.

After changing library or build commands outside of the ide, either click "vMicro>General>Reload toolchains" or restart the ide.

Does this help?

IP Logged

Taragorm
Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks.

It's certainly a step in the right direction. I will need some free time to evaluate though.

What I was hoping to do, is have the .a as part of the project, and have a dependancy to it. I've done this many times in non-arduino C++ projects, and it seems to be the right thing to do here.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
You can put .a files in a \libs folder below the project/sketch folder. They will automatically be linked. The dot_a_linkage flag would allow you to build a ".a"

However it's all a bit clunky and we suspect the end result will leave you without any intellisense for the linked libs.

We are working on a "one-click" solution that will allow the library sources to remain as they are (for various reasons, such as intellisense and update/changed lib sources validation). The result should be faster library deep search, faster compilation with shorter build commands whilst still being Arduino compatible.

Click the notifications button in the new releases section of this forum for interim release notifications.

Hope that helps

IP Logged

Taragorm
Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Sorry,
I wasn't clear enough - I mean have the project that builds the .a as part of the overall solution, and have the .a rebuilt as needed, and used by the main project.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Yes you were clear and we are talking about the same thing. Behind the scenes it would simply implement the arduino spec for precompile but that complexity would be hidden from users (except when verbose is enabled).
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2021 at 4:19pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Taragorm
Newbies

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Good - I wasn't certain, I'd said enough.

It would certainly be a highly desirable feature IMO. The Arduino type builds are OK for 8bit type projects where the code size is limited, but once you start with 32bit stuff, it gets really slow.

Visual Micro goes a long way to putting a better IDE on top of the Arduino build system.

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
An initial release of this functionality is now available, and documented below:
https://www.visualmicro.com/page/How-to-Automatically-Pre-Compile-Library-Archiv...

This does not (yet) automatically rebuild the archive when the code changes, or when a different board architecture is selected.

IP Logged

Taragorm
Newbies

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2021 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I'll give it a try

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint