Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Serial debugging -- cannot specify VM port to use (Read 1459 times)
cfeied

Serial debugging -- cannot specify VM port to use
Apr 1st, 2022 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I'm attempting to run plain old serial debugging on a Teensy 3.2 board with dual serialUSB ports that currently map to Com7 and Com8. These are serial endpoints that share a single USB connection, and other applications have no problem seeing them as independent serial connections.

The mapping of windows COM ports to teensy serial ports is persistent once created, but the mapping order is nondeterministic due to known design flaws in the implementation of windows serial port code. For now, Windows Com7 is connected to Teensy Serial (SerialUSB0) and Windows Com8 is connected to Teensy SerialUSB1. 

Com7 and Serial are heavily used by the teensy device and a host application, so naturally I want to use Com8/SerialUSB1 for the debugger.

Unfortunately, no matter what settings I choose, vMicro always seems to use Com7/Serial for debugging.

I've tried changing settings on the main VS screen and at the bottom of the vMicro drop-down, and in the VM debugger section for "Override local port."  

I cannot override the remote port because there is no option shown for SerialUSB1 or SerialUSB2. There is an option for SerialUSB, but on Teensy that is only an alias for Serial. Perhaps VM is unaware that Teensy now has support for dual or triple USB Serial ports? If so, is this in a configuration file somewhere?

Does anybody know how to overcome this problem?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Serial debugging -- cannot specify VM port to use
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2022 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Please follow the guide in yellow above so that we can replicate your settings.

btw: You can enter a remote port using the keyboard and the click enter to apply the setting.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2022 at 1:08am by Tim@Visual Micro »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments
IP Logged

cfeied

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2022 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Apr 2nd, 2022 at 12:24am:
btw: You can enter a remote port using the keyboard and the click enter to apply the setting.

That hint plus your png image got me unblocked.  On previous attempts I found that whatever I entered simply vanished when I hit Enter, but after looking at the PNG you posted, I figured out that the local port must be overridden before a remote port can be entered manually. BTW, I did not find this documented when searching. Perhaps my search skills aren't good enough  Cool

Thanks!!!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2022 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Hi

Good to hear it is working for you. The local port and remote port are not reliant on each other. The need to click the enter is annoying but it is how the vs menu combobox works.

We hope to add an optional tool bar for the serial debug alternative port setting. This would make selecting the ports easier to use.

Thanks for the post.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint