Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Does Visual Micro use the make files? (Read 1650 times)
Micro1

Does Visual Micro use the make files?
Jul 11th, 2022 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
The libraries in github examples for RPi Pico use makefiles and some board.h require it to get to the right path. that can only be found through the makefile or I have to modify then library code which makes no sense. I have the makefile configured so it completes. but I build the project and i do not see any references to the makefile. I think some errors are because of this not finding functions. 

Given your vast experience over the years I assume you have an answer. I realize this is arduino but these libraries are made to use makefiles. So how do I enable that? Do I need to add some files as resources or is their a checkbox somewhere? I am new to VM so there is that. 

I attached the family.cmake in \lib\tinyusb\hw\bsp\rp2040"

This is required for it to find the file. I am not sure what to do at this point as I just paid for Visual Micro when the trial expired. the picoprobe works but i get errors as it can't find some functions and I think I know why now. 

thanks.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Micro1

Re: Does Visual Micro use the make files?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
For instance. Family.c at this location. \lib\tinyusb\hw\bsp\rp2040

it requires family.cmake to run in order to pick up board_init() in family.c.
"host_cdc_msc_hid.ino:63: undefined reference to board_init"
Since it can't get to family.c from my estimation, then we end up with this issue. 

So the question is how does all this happen without cmake? Do I have to hardcode and modify the library then to have the library change later? I see some adaptations that allow some cmake files but not sure if will do what I need. 

Anywho.. you understand. Rock and a hard place. Hoping there is a simple solution other than having to modify the library files that are made for Arduino. 

I am trying to run USB host mode without Adafruit TinyUSB. Adafruit does not have host implemented without PIO bit bang and that is 2 pins I do not want to use. I want to use the USB port. 

I am using the PICO SDK with Arduino. regardless what I do if its meant to use cmake and I cannot then is hardcoding the paths the only way? Then have to upgrade library and modify the files again or simply never update!  might be that simple I guess. 

thanks!

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2022 at 11:09pm by Micro1 »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
You need to ask the author of the toolchain you are using how to enable the functionality that you require for use in the Arduino IDE. Visual Micro supports same.

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2022 at 11:56pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Micro1

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Ok. but how do any other libraries work if they cannot access the files when Arduino it appears does not use make files? I was thinking you would have a fancy answer. I wrote a lot thinking it would help.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2022 at 6:10am by Micro1 »  

IP Logged

Micro1

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Ok I wrote Earl the author. See what he says. Maybe I got too in depth for you on this topic but was thinking that was a common question.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Great, that is the best solution because it is difficult for us to support discussions for specific cores. As you know, there are too many of them and most are evolving new tech.

You can create your own core and use another core as a starter but you need to read about and stick to the arduino build rules. 

+ If Earl says you just need a few #defines and additional include paths for .h files you can add those in Visual Micro.

I suspect he needs to merge the parts of the SDK that you need to the Arduino core. He is the best person for that job.

IP Logged

Micro1

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I agree. Problem is that will not be any priority. I am looking at Platoform.io now and other options. Worst case I hard code things for now. bummer. i am on the bleeding edge I guess.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
We reported that toolchain wasn't producing .d files during compile, useful for caching. He ammended the core with a couple of days. That made is a benefit to the entire arduino community which was great.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:37pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Micro1

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2022 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
oh good to hear. he got back to me. i live maybe 15 minutes from him. turns out he said its better to not use Arduino and just use the bare Pico-SDK. reason being he said his core is USB device based. It does not want to go host without some work and it would not be worth the pain. So I wont be able to use visual Micro for this project. Now I know why I was having mounds of issues with the host mode. 

So that is the result. I was able to manually include family.c but still getting some other errors. it is somewhat circular argument chicken and egg issues. He knows it best and he recommends going straight C++. I was so glad to get PicoProbe working, but now I must get it working another way.

Thanks again. i will keep the VM for possible other projects. As long as I do not need host mode it has some simplicity.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2022 at 11:20pm by Micro1 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint