Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Please explain licensing (Read 969 times)
Marius
Developer

Please explain licensing
Jul 21st, 2022 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression that I purchased a life long license. I installed VS2022 and kept VS2019 for a while as I found things did not work in VS 2022 as expected.
Once I was happy with VS2022 I deleted VS 2019 and now I don't have a license any more. 
Can someone please explain how the licensing works as I find the website rather confusing. Also what is it going to cost and how  long is the license valid for?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Please explain licensing
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Normally, someone who purchased perpetual back in 2013 for $15 and hasn't paid for updates would be provided updates free for the rist 12 months. (We have recently extended the free support period)  

Obviously it's been a relaxed system allowing people to obtain updates without forcing them to pay again. That became more difficult as there are so many changes to hardware, arduino and vs it becomes too much work to provide for free.

We tried to ask users who had purchased many years ago to pay support when they needed assistance but they became quite angry. There seems to be a discontect of understanding between perpetual licence for specific versions and free updates for life.

When VS2022 was released is was another major change by Microsoft. We decided to take the opportunity to alter the licencing so that users who bought a long time ago can receive esome assistance without being nagged to pay for updates.

Therefore, you are full licenced for perpetual use of versions up until 2019.

The link at the top of our home page explains the current system https://www.visualmicro.com/page/About-Visual-Micro-Licensing.aspx

In your case, you have always been helpful and can email us for a free VS2022 licence.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2022 at 3:52pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
@ Tim@Visual Micro

Thanks Tim, I read the explanation. Clear as mud now. At my age everything is clear as mud.
I did send an email.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2022 at 4:09pm by Marius »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
It's a difficult thing to say politely Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint