Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Serial monitor suggestions (Read 1689 times)
G3WGV
Newbies

Serial monitor suggestions
Jul 30th, 2022 at 8:27am
Print Post  
A couple of minor suggestions for the extremely useful serial monitor:

1. The time stamp to be 24 hour clock
The time stamp already has the leading zero for hours but it's 12 hour clock, so 07:30:27:123 could be early morning or evening time. When doing long term testing this is confusing! While in that bit of code, why not add the date as well: 2022-07-30 07:30:27 (not sure we need the milliseconds to be honest!). I suppose these could be options but you've probably got more options than you want already.

2. Button to clear the received data window
Yes I know I can set to clear on send or clear on open but that's fiddly when all I  wanted to do was clear the screen on demand, say after an unexpectedly large splurge of data Shocked.

And a comment:

If I click in the receive data window that turns off auto-scroll, which is a good thing when stuff is scrolling past. But it stays off when I click elsewhere, e.g. the send button. I routinely send commands to the Arduino which then sends back a response. I get all concerned when I see nothing, then I realise auto-scroll has been turned off  Smiley. Not a big deal but I wonder if auto-reconnect could revert to 'on' in these situations?

Thanks 

John

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Serial monitor suggestions
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post, we will look into the date formatting.

The serial output works the same as the compiler output and follows the VS standard. CTRL+END (or clicking the end) will reposition the cursor to the end of the text, which then auto starts the output.

The "clear on open" does also clear immediately. Therefore two clicks of the button will clear the output.

IP Logged

G3WGV
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tim.

Most times I inadvertently turn off auto-scroll is when I've been in some other app and just clicked arbitrarily in the serial window to bring it back on top. Of course the output area is the biggest part, hence the inevitable happens! I shall have to be more careful with my clickery.

I didn't know about the double click trick. That works just fine, thank you.

John
(Long time very satisfied user... perhaps I should post here more often)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Good to know and thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint