Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) ESP Prog: Unable to start debugging. Unexpected GDB output ... Try "help target". (Read 2089 times)
Chris2N

ESP Prog: Unable to start debugging. Unexpected GDB output ... Try "help target".
Oct 1st, 2022 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Hello 

After solving issues with my project (see: https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1650736681/0), issues re-ocurred:

Setup (hardware, board.txt and vm version) were in principle unchanged. But after a while, debugging became more and more unstable. (Only one of the 2 possible upload options was successful)

After attaching ESP Prog I can serially upload now if I am lucky after serveral tries to reset board & ESP Prog. But on start of the debugging session, I get the following pop-up-message:

Unable to start debugging. Unexpected GDB output from command "-exec-run". Don't know how to run. Try "help target".

Please find enclosed the Output files with all verboses (that seem relevant) enabled.

BR
Chris

PS: With the ESP Prog unattached serial upload work stable.

IP Logged

Chris2N

Re: ESP Prog: Unable to start debugging. Unexpected GDB output ... Try "help target".
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Here the Output files.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Chris2N

Re: ESP Prog: Unable to start debugging. Unexpected GDB output ... Try "help target".
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
... and the board.txt + the log for the failing upload via Hardware.

BTW: 

of course I checked the driver settings via Zadig and they are ok.

Board is a LilyGO-TTGO-T-Display, as described here: https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1650736681

with my Wemos Lollin everything works fine with the same setup

vm version is still  1.2022.0429, which worked after applying above solution.

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Thanks for the additional detail, and glad to hear the WeMos Lolin worked ok.

On the LilyGO-TTGO-T-Display doesn't appear to have IO14 (needed for the JTAG interface) exposed on the board (Board Pinout), and it appears to be routed to a diode (Board Schematic). It may be possible to cut that trace and solder a connection but it may also affect your boards functionality.

The vMicro Serial Debugger may be a better option for the LilyGO-TTGO-T-Display board as this requires no additional wiring.

IP Logged

Chris2N

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Hello Simon,

thanks for your reply. 

Yes, there needs to be soldered a wire to the diode to connect to IO14. 
(On the cost of some battery related functionality, but battery operation is not intended in my project.)

All that worked on the same board when we both solved my initial problems in April. 
(see: https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1650736681)
Now suddenly debugging is not possible anymore.

For the current issues with my project, hardware debugging would be rather helpful.

I would be glad, if you see any aproach to overcome this problem.

BR
Christian

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update, does using the patterns from April make it more stable? (it is using a different version of OpenOCD which is supplied by Espressif)

IP Logged

Chris2N

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick reply. 
I use exactly the pattern from April, see enclosed board.txt

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for confirming and apologies for not spotting that.

So at present we have the same modified board, same OpenOCD version, same 1.0.6 ESP32 Board Package (and GDB version).
Visual Micro has been updated but the last change believe we made in this area was the fix to the thread in April.

To ensure there are no other factors, can you try debugging the simple blink sketch (with the pin changed to e.g. GPIO17)?   
(If you need to disconnect the ESP-PROG to allow the USB-Serial upload to work please do, and then use the Debug > Attach to process once the code is running on the board)

IP Logged

Chris2N

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2022 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Hi Simon,
unfortunately it does not work with a simple blink sketch either. 
(The sketch works, but not the debugging. Debugging the same project with lolin works.)
I bundled my attempts and the according documentation in enclosed word document.
BR
Christian

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay in replying.

The only change from when it worked in April is the minor update to vMicro from 2022.0429-0 to 2022.0429-1 that I can understand.

Can you try uninstalling vMicro and then re-install the 2022.0429-0 version which you had in April (available here)?

This should mean all software elements are identical to what was present in April, so it should work exactly as it did then.

IP Logged

Chris2N

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Simon,
I downloaded the file you indicated, but it seems to be the same version I had installed before. At least the version No. in manage extensions reamains unchanged (2202.429.2200).
The problems persit or maybe even aggravated: As soon as I plug in the ESPProg I can not even upload serially as the ESP kind of crashes:
MAC: 3c:61:05:0c:6c:10
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 921600
Changed.
Configuring flash size...
Warning: Could not auto-detect Flash size (FlashID=0xffffff, SizeID=0xff), defaulting to 4MB
Compressed 8192 bytes to 47...
A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet content

I have the impression this might be due to an hardware related instability as I soldered the board to a PCB to my application.
(As I said, that worked before, but the PCB quality is not the best.)

I think I give up hardware debugging here allthoug this is at the moment quite a drawback for my project  Sad. (Finding some errors in my code will be much harder with serial debugging, I think.)

BR
Christian

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update, and I hadn't realised the modified board was now attached to another PCB.

This sounds like it is likely to be hardware related if none of the software/settings have changed, and everything still works on the LOLIN board you had working previously.

Does the Serial Upload work if you unplug the ESP-PROG?

IP Logged

Chris2N

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
If I unplug the ESP-Prog serial programming works.
(Prabably debugging also. But I am facing at the moment a bug in a larger code section and I have no clue, where it is. Stepping through the code without predefining all the breakpoints and watches would have been great.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint