Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Cant find Teensy with VM using Arduino 2.0 (Read 1628 times)
ShortCircuit
Newbies

Cant find Teensy with VM using Arduino 2.0
Nov 13th, 2022 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Hi all, new to this forum, but I've been using VM for a few years now.

Recently I upgraded to Arduino 2.0. I installed all the proper packages for the Teensy architecture, and all works well in the Arduino IDE.

When I attempt to use VM with the Teensy, however, I cannot get VM to find the boards. I have looked in the board manager, tried to re-name and re-configure the "Arduino15" folder, and re-load the toolchain. All with no luck.

Any help/direction here would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if it a bug, or my stupidity.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Cant find Teensy with VM using Arduino 2.0
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Please post a screen shot of the IDE Locations window. 

note: For arduino 2, all fields should be empty. If you make changes click rescan or restart the ide.

IP Logged

ShortCircuit
Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I appear to have been missing a crucial step. I did not add the teensy URL to the additional boards option on the IDE Location screen. Thanks for pointing me there... Somehow I never saw that option. 

I was under the impression it would automatically populate that field based on what was already stored in the Arduino IDE, but it did not.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2022 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Yes you are right, it should have picked it up from arduino 2 without need for the urls in visual micro. Did you have visual micro open when you installed teensy in arduino 2? Maybe needed a rescan or restart?

IP Logged

ShortCircuit
Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2022 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
No, no other windows were open when I installed Arduino 2. I also previously tried rescanning and restarting many times. None of which worked. I even went as far as re-installing both Arduino 2 and visual micro.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2022 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
The teensy.json file is new for arduino 2. In arduino 1x the teensy installer.exe is used to install a different way.

We are reviewing the new json to see why you might have had the problem. Even after using the new json the way some teensy are discovered needs to be changed slightly. Therefore we will be issuing an update over the next week.

If you have any difficulties then install arduino 1.x from the zip on the arduino.cc site and then install teensyDuino. Confirure the Visual Micro 1.6-1.8 app to point to wherever you expanded the arduino 1.x zip. That gives you the system that has worked for many years.

Either way we will update for the new teensy system with arduino 2.0.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Update 

We will be releasing an update next week that adds support the latest arduino COM port discovery spec. Teensy uses these features for virtual port discovery. 

In the older 1x IDE Teensy installed the tools for the discovery into a known location below the IDE. That is why teensy virtual port discovery works with the arduino 1x Teensyduino installations but not in Visual Micro when installed via the teensy board index.json.

++

For Arduino 2.0 they have also changed the location and format of underlying properties. That is why the toolchain installed via the arduino 2.0 was not auto discovered by Visual Micro.

Thanks again for the post.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Please install Visual Micro 2.0, which is now released to the Microsoft Gallery. Visual Micro 2.0 is compatible with all of the recent Arduino 2.0 specification changes to support Teensy.

IP Logged

ShortCircuit
Newbies

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Works great, thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint