Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Configuring the build folder. (Read 14678 times)
nickclark76
Newbies

Configuring the build folder.
Sep 19th, 2012 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
When using Arduino, "build.path" can be set in the "preferences.txt" file, to change the location of the build folder for projects. This seems to have to affect over VisualMicro though?

Is it possible to configure the location of the build folder with VisualMicro?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Configuring the build folder.
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
It's a good idea and you are welcome to add this as a request to our codeplex issues list. If you do it will be included in the next release.

Not sure if any of this helps, (I would like to understand more about why this is useful to you)

1)

Visual Micro works slightly differently to arduino which makes a temp folder per ide instance. Visual Micro always uses the same temp path for each project. For example "c:\users\[name]\appdata\local\vmicro\[MyProjectName]\[BoardName]"

2)

I have had requests that the build path be optionally taken from the VS project build location. This would allow the path to be overridden per project.

What are your thoughts?

IP Logged

nickclark76
Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Yes, I think having the option to take the build path from the VS project build location would be a good idea. It would definitely be usefull to have the build path configurable on a per project basis.

IP Logged

ambinaut
Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
definitely, I'd like the build files to be placed in the projects Debug directory, just like Atmel Studio does it.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I've been looking at this. It's easy enough but there are potential dangers. An Arduino build involves copying some source files to the build folder which is dangerous if the folder is not well away from the real sources.

How about we build in the temp folder but then copy or move the resulting .elf .hex etc. to the Atmel build folder?

IP Logged

ambinaut
Newbies

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Feb 14th, 2014 at 10:24pm:
An Arduino build involves copying some source files to the build folder which is dangerous if the folder is not well away from the real sources.

I don't understand, it's dangerous for the files in the build folder, i.e. the cpp, hex, etc files?

By real resources you mean the core.a etc. files in the Arduino IDE installation directory?

Quote:
How about we build in the temp folder but then copy or move the resulting .elf .hex etc. to the Atmel build folder?

I have no prob with that, it's just that I'd like to have temp folder somewhere not so deep, i.e. not in the user/appdata.... etc directory. I have a D:\DIY directory where I keep my atmel studio projects, so I'd like to have the compiled files in D:\DIY\build

Or perhaps a batch script could be written that would copy the hex and cpp files from the users\etc...\build directory to the Debug folder of the current project, but I don't know how to write such a script where the directories are changing with each project.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 1:05am
Print Post  
It's easy to have the .cpp go into the atmel build folder but "build>clean solution" will need to delete .cpp/.h etc. To that end it feels dangerous simply because if a novice user has set their build folder to be a (any) program folder then their sources will be deleted.

IP Logged

Marcelo de Almeida
Newbies

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
There is any way to set the temporary folder to [ProjectFolder]\Build ?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Coming soon but which ide are you using?

IP Logged

Marcelo de Almeida
Newbies

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jun 19th, 2015 at 9:03pm:
Coming soon but which ide are you using?

I am using VS2013CE. Tried to use variables (VS, platafom.txt and windows prompt) but does not work.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The build folder can be set in "tools>options>visual micro>compiler>temporary build folder"

IP Logged

Marcelo de Almeida
Newbies

Reply #11 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:47pm:
Hi,

The build folder can be set in "tools>options>visual micro>compiler>temporary build folder"

it will change the build foolder for all projects?
maybe i can use a different aproach:  i only need the .hex file to be copied to a specific folder inside the project for the version control and simulator run, but i cannot find one variable with the project source folder, only one with the source .ino file. With the project folder i can add a postbuild event on the plataform.txt to copy the necessary files.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 10:14am
Print Post  
The build folder is always the same for each project so will work for you today.

It is also expect that in the next release we will copy the hex to the sketch folder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint