Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Out of this world issue (Read 10457 times)
Gilles Plante

Out of this world issue
Apr 11th, 2014 at 2:48pm

Hi,

we have a very strange issue. There are boards we flashed 2 or 3 weeks ago. We are told by the customer, who has one and tested today, it doesn't work at all (the led does not lit).

Since we have a few of these in the shop, we tested them this morning... same issue. In fact the board needs to find a peripheral to turn the LED on, but we tested that also, so it would not be the issue.

As a test, I loaded in our board the same version of the software that was previously loaded, and afterwards they worked  Shocked.

So the question is: is it possible that for some reason the program would be gone ?

I know that the question feels dumb, how can flash forget, but that's the only explanation I can think of at this time. So I asked !

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Out of this world issue
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 3:09pm

The only thing I can think of is this:-

The only thing missing from your report is that they were tested, prior to today, that the flashing had actually happened 2 or 3 weeks ago.

IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 3:21pm

Hi,, found something here http://letsmakerobots.com/node/27050:

Quote:
I'm using Ro-Bot-X's uservotino for my Venux robot. I recently had a problem where the sketch (program, for all you non-Arduino types) disappeared on me. The board would power up fine, but nothing would happen. Then I upload the sketch again and everthing is fine.

I thought it was an isolated incident, but it just happened again! Any thoughts on what would cause an Adruino to lose its mind?

EDIT: The issue turned out to be with the Brown Out Detection (BOD) settings on the Arduino bootloader. The BOD defined in the bootloader was disabled. When the power to the Arduino dips too low, it can wind up corrupting memory, including the stored code. The BOD feature tells the processor to reset if the power dips below a selectable threshold. Since my chip didn't have a BOD threshold set, I lost the program code.

Yikes, someone ever heard of that ?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 3:45pm

That's interesting, so powering through battery or solar or something?

IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 3:51pm

The final product will be powered by battery, for the development purpose I use a Power Supply. I turn off the Power Supply each evening, but that does not seem long enough to get the flash erased I guess.

We flashed a unit 2 or 3 weeks ago that was sent right away, but the customer tried it only today.

Very frustrating issue.

Thanks

EDIT:

There is SparkFun board I use to test burning the bootloader a few weeks ago, I am pretty sure I loaded Blink to it. I tested id, it didn't work...
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2014 at 3:55pm by Gilles Plante »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 4:04pm

Amazing issue, I bet that explains a few things for a few people who probably gave up!

IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 3:03pm

Hi Tim,

I am searching about fuses and lock bits to find out the cause for my issue (I also open a ticket with Atmel). Looking at Atmel FAQs, I learned that the ELF format on top of containing the program itself in a downloadable format may also include fuses and lock bits. You know more than me about this, so I would like to know if these stand true:
  • What ever way one picks to upload the program, Serial port or programmer, fuses and lock bits will be set
  • Fuses (and lock bits ?) settings come from the board definition file

Once that's solved I will post back for others not to go through this pain.

Thanks

IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:41pm

Tim,

it looks like from AtmelStudio it's possible to read and write fuses. Unfortunately at the moment I am not at the office and can't check in VisualStudio, but the reference was for AtmelStudio 4, so ?!?

I know that VisualMicro kind of blocks some of AtmelStudio functionnalities. Do you know if in AtmelStudio 6.1, one can access fuses ?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 11:14pm

Hi Gilles, yes it can but maybe you can help with the commands. We can use the atprogram.exe command line tool that comes with atmel studio. This is what the new proogrammers (atmel avr/ice) entries do already.

You can run atprogram.exe within a windows cmd box and see the help/documentation.

If you can workout the commands I can tell you how to add them to the vm config
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2014 at 11:14pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:41am

Tim,

I am wondering about something. If I am right, whether I use the Tools menu or the AtmelStudio command line atprogram.exe utility, a programmer will be used to read/write fuses. If the programmer is an Atmel mkII, then I guess AtmelStudio will want to use the Jungo driver I had so much pleasure (ahum...) replacing by the libusb driver  : Huh

So I guess I better use a different programmer.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 2:21am

Hi,

There are two avrisp mkII entries on the menu. The higher one uses std arduino/libusb, the one with a name that begins "Atmel" uses Jungo.

Am I missing the point?

Thanks

IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:58pm

Quote:

There are two avrisp mkII entries on the menu.
Ah that explains why I have two entries in Arduino's IDE  Smiley.

But in VisualStudio, I have only one for mkII.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 1:11pm

Now you have lost me.

We have already established in previous threads that the atmel programmer only shows for 1.5 systems with Visual Micro. So I guess that it why you only see the one in AS6

As for the two you mention in the Arduino Ide I have no idea what that is about.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint