Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Loaded 6.2 for atmel and not working (Read 7632 times)
themind
Newbies

Loaded 6.2 for atmel and not working
Feb 11th, 2015 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
So I downloaded 6.2 from atmel and installed, I forgot I had 6.1 on the computer, now I have both.

I try and use your tool in 6.2 and it complains can not create a project, and in 6.1 it does nothing, I pick the .ino and it just plainly looks like I did not pick it at all, nothing happens.

What should I do?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Loaded 6.2 for atmel and not working
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Hi,

This sounds like a permissions problem. When you attempt to "file>open sketch" what folder appears in the file manager window?

Thanks

IP Logged

themind
Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Just figured it out, with a reboot! Smiley damn windows

Question #2, do you know how to have the editor highlight the code that is #ifdef'd out

#if 0
printf("highlighted out");
#else
printf("do not highlight");
#endif

R.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Great.

I think there is an extension in the Gallery called XFeatures that does the disabling of # compiler defines. I think it also color codes the compiler error/warnings and a few other neat things.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:31pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

themind
Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Cool! I love this new IDE! very nice, I come from a KEIL ARM environment and when I try and use the real Arduio IDE, it drives me nuts, the KEIL is not as good as this new one here, but its much better then Arduino IDE! Smiley

Does the debugging work over the SPI? how do I get started with debug? (I know its in the wrong thread now!)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Hi, glad it is helping.

You are right the debugger is best discussed in a new thread but I can tell you it is a Serial.print replacement but does itself use Serial or SoftwareSerial etc. It can't work over spi because we only have a usb connection. You can buy a hardware programmer for atmel but that involves some complexity and is outside of the current visual micro remit. This means that after vm build, you will use "file>open object file for debugging". You can try it out using the Simulator that will be the only device available because you don't own a hardware debugger. Keep an eye out for improvements to the vm debugger over the next few months (but not spi support)

edit: I will split this message into a new thread shortly
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:44pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

vismic
Newbies

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2015 at 6:04am
Print Post  
Hi,

This is already my second attempt to start Atmel Studio with Visual Micro, after a while. Now using Arduino r.1.6.4; Atmel Studio r.6.2; Visual Micro r.May 2015. Read documentation, "followed" instructions, but so far no success.

Arduino IDE compiles well and programs the Arduino Uno with no issues. Atmel studio does not, here is the complete content of the output window:
--
Compiling 'Blink' for 'Arduino Uno'
     Process: "{runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}\bin\avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=164 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\Blink\uno\Blink.cpp" -o "C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\Blink\uno\Blink.cpp.o"
Error compiling
--

Please, Help
Thank you!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2015 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Vismic,

Sorry you have had poor support. You came to this at a time when arduino made some huge changes to their ide without a beta period. So we have been running to catch up.

Actually I hope your problem is solved in the release from the last couple of days. There are a few remaining things that could cause the problem and should all be in the release notes available via the download page.

The problem is being able to resolve this new {runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path} build property

In the version of the last few weeks if users did not change their Visual Micro Ide Location from the Arduino 1.5 app to the new Arduino 1.6 application option then this error would appear. The version of the last couple of days detects this issue by looking at the actual version of arduino.exe that is installed so it can intelligently give you the new arduino build system even though you have still got the Arduino 1.5 option selected in Visual Micro.

I suspect this problem is the issue for you so please upgrade because it contains more support and fixes for the new Arduino features.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. 

If compile still fails after upgrade, to prove you have a correct config open the Micro Explorer and see if you have the new Boards Manager tab?

Thanks 

IP Logged

vismic
Newbies

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2015 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your excellent support!

Works well. I removed the vm from Atmel studio. Downloaded and installed the new vm. Noticed one more line in vm conf. locations. Also re-installed arduino 1.6.4, but looks like it did not play any role.

Great help!
Thanks again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint