Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic JTAG debugging - How to use the Atmel debug tools more easily? (Read 5286 times)
Bruce S
Newbies

JTAG debugging - How to use the Atmel debug tools more easily?
Apr 5th, 2015 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I want to try this but how to resolve file paths ?  I get this 'Remap Object Files to Disk' dialog from Atmel Studio 6.2: [forum not letting me attach picture file]  

Some files ok such as "E:\tools\Arduino1.0.5\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.h"

But it's looking for C:\HardwareSerial.h, C:\LiquidCrystal.h, C:\Print.h, C:\WString.h, C:\stdlib_private.h.  Why would it look in the root of my drive for files that are part of the standard Arduino installation ?

I own the commercial version of Visual Micro so that I can access remote Arduinos over the serial port in a pinch.  But I want to do (the much more efficient) JTAG and debugWire debugging too, so that I can have high speed debugging including single step, memory and CPU access.

- Bruce
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2015 at 6:42pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: JTAG debugging - How to use the Atmel debug tools more easily?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Bruce,

Hope you don't mind that I have moved your question to a new thread.

The atmel web site and forum is the best place to get help with their tools. Their mapping dialog is a bit clunky but has some hidden intelligence with paths that is not obvious. 

Have a fiddle clearing paths from file names or pasting the correct path from the core folder shown in the same dialog. If I recall it starts to fill stuff in automatically for you. Once you have saved your new solution you shouldn't need to do it again. The new solution will also have a menu item that re-opens the mapper for new sources so minor code structure changes are easy to apply.

Thanks for buying the plugin, sorry i can't be of more help.

IP Logged

Bruce S
Newbies

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply.  Is there any way to just make the Visual Micro Arduino project, in Atmel Studio, just use a different debug connection ?  The project is already set up and the sources are known - but it won't let me change the debug connection.  I want to use the Visual Micro project with all of the features that it has, yet use the built-in debugger.  Isn't there a way to change the 'personality' of the project to allow this ?  Is Visual Micro doing something to the project that can not be overridden ?

- Bruce

IP Logged

Bruce S
Newbies

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
@ Visual Micro

Also, is the Visual Micro add-in invoking the Arduino toolchain tools to do it's build ?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
The problem is that Atmel studio doesn't understand .ino files. 

So when we compile we do so in a temp folder and combine all the .ino files into a .cpp along with some other stuff.

This means that atmel studio does not know about the project from the sketch project structure. 

Another issue is that to force intellisense to work with things such as "the way arduino libraries work", we have to "fiddle" the project properties.

We are working on a more a hybrid system for advanced users and I suspect that atmel are also working on making things easier for advanced users. So it will get easier over time.

I wish we could just launch the atmel debugger. So far I haven't found a way to do that but it still would not find the .ino or lib sources very easily.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:36pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint