Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Weird shared projects behaviour (Read 1367 times)
Paul Martinsen

Weird shared projects behaviour
Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I have a reasonably big solution comprised of a couple of Visual Micro projects, shared projects and a few other things. Most of the shared code is in a Shared Project called Melvyn. Recently I decided I would like to break the Melvyn project up into parts for greater granularity. 

So I started with:
* Config Arduino (SP)
* Melvyn (SP)
* Clacks (VM)

(VM) means a Visual Micro project with an .ino file. (SP) means a shared project. Both shared projects are referenced by the Clacks project. 

This works nicely. 

I added another shared project called "Melvyn Cache". I can call it MelvynCache or MelvynCache2 and I get the same result. The build fails with the compiler unable to find files in this new project. 

Delving into the temporary folder where the files are assembled for the build I discovered the reason. I see the structure:
Clacks
+ (board name)
++ Release
+++ Files from the "Melvyn" and "Config Arduino" shared projects as well as the Clacks project.
++ Release Cache
+++ Files from the "Melvyn Cache" project. 

So the build is failing because the files from the "Melvyn Cache" shared-project aren't getting put into the Release folder where the build is happening. Rather they go to a folder of their own. I get the same problem whether the shared project includes a space in the name or not. 

If I call my new shared project "Cache" instead of "Melvyn Cache" (or the other alternatives I tried), it all works as expected. 

I looked in the Clacks.vcxproj file and the shared project imports are consistent. Nothing weird in any of the .vcxitems files either. 

So somehow weird things happen when shared projects share a common prefix. Its not a big deal to give them different names. Though I'm not sure how different they have to be. I haven't tried to see what happens if two projects start with the same letter, for example. 

I'm using Version 15.2 (26430.6) Release of Visual Studio & Version 1707.25.5 of Visual Micro. 

Have others seen this problem? I didn't spot anything similar when searching the forum. 

Any insights appreciated!
Have a great day
Paul.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Weird shared projects behaviour
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I suggest you zip and attach or email your entire solution

Email is info[at]visualmicro.com