Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Profiler (Read 4950 times)
sixeyes2

Profiler
Feb 19th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Will the new work for debugging allow for profiling?

I've always found using a profiler to be very helpful, function call counts and / or function time would be useful.

Iain

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Profiler
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Edit: 
I think it has a few options you might call profiling but i might be being too simplistic. I hadn't thought of calling it profiling but I think you might be right. See what you think.

Features such as new vs output window type containing a running trace of each active breakpoint. example: "time : function/breakpoint details + num hits" and a variables window shows num hits and last update date/time. 

You can also generate your own text/display messages using the breakpoint screen in vs. The messages can be combined in the serial viewer or there is an option to show in seperate text message output window with time and other variables of choice merged into the message

You will also see on the vs breakpoint config screens the ability to call a macro instead of a text message. I am looking forward to supporting macros. Used properly they have  huge potential! 

So, .net macros will be called simply by setting a breakpoint. Visual Studio breakpoints can be assigned conditional statements. The debug upgrade allows us to enter normal arduino code as the conditions. vm automatically adds the conditions code along with "if () {}" etc during the "debug" compile. 

This means that .net macros can be executed in response to values falling "in or out" of a given range or for any other normal arduino code condition

To future versions I hope to add the ability to show a selectection of the "tracked" breakpoint variables in a graph control and to add a few other tool windows showing various running summary data

I am looking forward to hooking up my xbees for a remote debug session

Any ideas and suggestions will be welcomed. It's prob easier to see than to visualize Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2012 at 7:46pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

sixeyes2

Re: Profiler
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Sounds promising.

Iain

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint