Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Debug and Release settings (Read 6769 times)
jimmycove
Newbies

Debug and Release settings
Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
What settings (if any) from the property pages for the project (such as C/C++, Preprocessor definitions) impact an Arduino project in Visual Studio. I can't get my "Debug" build to work, and I don't understand how the settings are changing from Debug to Release.

Release works fine, here is the output when I try a Debug build:
>------ Build started: Project: VSBlink, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  AssertTrace.cpp
1>c1xx : warning C4117: macro name '__cplusplus' is reserved, '#define' ignored
1>C:\_SOFTWARE\VSBlink\.vmprogram\.VSBlink.vsarduino.h(3): warning C4005: '__AVR_ATmega328P__' : macro redefinition
1>          command-line arguments :  see previous definition of '__AVR_ATmega328P__'
1>C:\_SOFTWARE\VSBlink\.vmprogram\.VSBlink.vsarduino.h(5): warning C4117: macro name '__cplusplus' is reserved, '#define' ignored
1>C:\_SOFTWARE\VSBlink\.vmprogram\.VSBlink.vsarduino.h(13): warning C4005: '__asm__' : macro redefinition
1>          C:\_SOFTWARE\VSBlink\.vmprogram\.VSBlink.vsarduino.h(8) : see previous definition of '__asm__'
1>C:\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\arduino\variants\standard\pins_arduino.h(28): fatal error C1034: avr/pgmspace.h: no include path set
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Debug and Release settings
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
None, there isn't offcially such a thing as debug for arduino. 

vm handles all the vs c++ settings simply to force intellisense to work correctly.

We have an upgrade in beta that implements debugging using serial ("behind the scenes"), you can read about what the debug upgrade will do on the main visualmicro.com site

1)
The question I have is what did you click to get the output in your example? Vm is supposed to capture the vs compiler and perform an arduino compile. However your example shows VS trying to do a normal win32 C++ compile.

2)
Are you getting a normal arduino compile in "Release" mode?

Look hearing these answers so that I can give you some more information

Thanks

IP Logged

jimmycove
Newbies

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
1) Tools, Options, Visual Micro, Compiler: Debug Configuration: I set this to "Debug". Release Configuration I set this to "Release". Are the VisualMicro settings in this dialog documented somewhere?

2) Yes: If I set Visual Studio to "Release" mode, then I get arduino build.

(FYI: I have no Platform in my project. IE: There is nothing in the dropdown that normally shows Win32, etc.)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Oh I see thanks. 

Those options were added in for a user who was experimenting with building his own simulator before I started working on the debug stuff. The user wanted vm not to handle the arduino compile or c++ options so he could experiment with a c++ compile.

I forgot about the option. It is best to leave all the options as default (empty).

The plugin debugger upgrade allows per project and configuration settings at project level but are only currently active for debug beta testers.

The new project properties are slowly being documented on the visualmicro site under "Wiki>Debug"

If you would like to become a beta tester I can add you to the list?

Hopefully, some people will soon start helping with the documentation Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint