Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Intellisense in Visual Studio 2008 (Read 6552 times)
Antonio
Newbies

Intellisense in Visual Studio 2008
Nov 8th, 2012 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Dear friends,

I have installed this great and tested sucessfully on VS2008. The first time I tried, Intellisense worked, but now I can't make it work. It only works when changing the extension of the PDE or INO file to CPP, but then it won't compile. The PDE and INO extensions are already registered and associated to C++ files in the Options->File Extension section. I have tried to delete the NCB file, reinstalling Visual Micro, restarting the PC, but no luck.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to reset Visual Micro Settings?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Intellisense in Visual Studio 2008
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Yes leave extensions as .pde or .ino. The C++ options you mention should not affect intellisense. It should work always.

If intellisense fails please try to switch to a different arduino board and back again. Does this fix it?

There was a recent change to vm that improves performance for most users. Maybe it affected vs2008, if so I will make it an option.

I look forward to hearing the result of this test

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Oh, it appears that I did make it an option.

If switching board does not cause intellisense to always work reliably, then set "Tools>Options>Always Re-add Header" = True

After changing this option, please switch to another arduino board and then back to your required arduino board, it should always work correctly after this?
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2012 at 5:20pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Antonio
Newbies

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Thanks for your quick response.

I have tried the option you mention, but does not work either. When switching to another board, a message in the left-bottom part of VS2008 get stuck: "09:30 Intellisense refresh of Sketch 'XXX' for Board 'YYY' "

Best regards

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Questions

What is the name of your sketch and what is the name of your project? tip: The project name must the same name as the sketch.

Please confirm that the folder that contains the sketch has the same name as the sketch?

Please email all the files from your sketch folder and also from the "visual micro" folder below the sketch

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2012 at 1:17pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Antonio
Newbies

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks again.

Finally I have solved the issue Smiley. Yes, the sketch was in a folder with the same name. What I have done is creating a new project, instead of letting VS create one from my files. When you create one, Intellisense does in fact work. I have pasted the content of the main file in the new project one, adding later the H files and the CPP of the addional libraries of the project, and last, I have pasted the content of the original "Vsarduino.h"  from the "failed" project on the new one, and it finally works Smiley  It's a relatively complex project, with 5 CPP files and 5 H files and more than 2000 code lines.

Best regards
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2012 at 2:58pm by Antonio »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Hi, great that it is working however I would like to investigate why the auto create of a project failed to provide intellisense. This automatic system is used by everyone so I really want to know why it failed for you.

fyi: The vsarduino.h is re-written whenever you save a sketch that has new methods, when the board changes, when the configuration name changes, when libs are added, when new source files are added so should always be correct. However I am keen to see it and to see if it listed all of the prototypes and sketch pde/ino file names.

Q:

1)
When you manually created a project did you simply select "empty win32 c++ project"? The empty win32 c++ project is the vs template that vm uses (in background) to auto create an initial sketch project.

2)
Please do zip and send me the sketch and project files that failed. I would like to look in the .vcproj to see the settings and also to see the pde/ino files and the vsarduino.h

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint