Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best practices for solution/project/file management? (Read 3252 times)
Pete Rathbun
Newbies

Best practices for solution/project/file management?
Jan 23rd, 2013 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
OK, so I'm completely hooked on using VS/VM to write Arduino code (thank you for developing such a great tool!).

However, being a complete newb to Visual Studio (and fairly new to Arduino), I'm going crazy with file management. I understand that such a powerful IDE brings with it a complex file-management system, but "Solutions & Projects & Items," oh my!
Huh

Can anybody point me in the right direction to learn best practices and how it all fits together? The documentation I've found online seems to be aimed at way-more-advanced users than myself.

Thanks, and my apologies if this topic is already active elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2013 at 7:35pm by Pete Rathbun »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Best practices for solution/project/file management?
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Hi there, I'll add some more text here when I get time. 

You are right, for new users, there are too many ways to work in this area and have work planned for vm to make this process easier to manage and use.

Initially you could try ignoring the solution side of things. never both saving the solution when prompted or always save to the suggested Solution1 in the prompted vs my documents area.

In that mode you would always use File>Open Arduino Sketch" or "File>Open>File>.ino" to re-open a sketch. Once a sketch has been opened once you can continue to open the sketch that way or you can use the std. The File>Open Arduino sketch opens the Sketch Book Folder for you to select a sketch but it does not add the sketch to your recent files list

After a sketch has been opened once VM will create a VS project in the sketch folder. Using the std. vs File>Open>Project will open the project and add the project to your recent files list. 

Vm doesn't care how files are opened in VS, the additional menu items are just there to help some people, other will use the std. vs File Menu, Context Menu and Tool bar functions. 

All the std. VS (non-arduino) functions "add to the recent files/projects list" on the File Menu. This can often be the most useful workflow for opening any of the 10 or 20 most recent Arduino Sketches

To be clear: The sketch.ino and/or project (.vcxproj) are the important items when it comes to opening files. In theory you can ignore the solution side of things entirely and find the way to open your sketches that works best for you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint