Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help finding the Visual Studio Properties Window (Read 7285 times)
Harrzack

Help finding the Visual Studio Properties Window
Jan 23rd, 2013 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Greetings!

At this time it appears the debugger is either not installed or I haven't got it set up right.

Under Win7, I'm currently running Arduino 1.03,with VM version 1.1212.30.  I've downloaded the debugger as "VisualMicroDebugUpgrade1211_11.msi"
Double-clicked and it appeared to install.

After viewing the YOUTUBE "debug howto" I'm still left stuck.  It seems the debugger is NOT showing up.  I can't get the same Properties window shown on the video where you can select the various debug settings (like FULL).  I really don't see any evidence the debugger is present...   I'm working with a new simple sketch (which isn't working!), setting breakpoints but I don't think they are working.

Is there any check that can be made to ensure the VM debugger is properly installed?  It does not show Tools -> Options -> Visual Micro.    Undecided

=Alan R.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2013 at 6:15pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Debugger woes
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Hi,

VS has a few "property"controls, it's confusing. We want the "Property Window" which is a dock-able tool window never a dialog.

The "Property Pages" often shows as a dialog window but it is the wrong control.

>> Select the "Project" in the "Solution Explorer" ...

>> Then press F4 to open the property window. 

>> F4 doesn't work for every user so you can use the VIEW menu item instead. View>Property Window" or "View>Other Windows>Property Window". The location differs in the various VS versions

IP Logged

Harrzack

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tim - did all you suggested and still no sign of the VM debugger.  I sent a screen shot of my Solution Explorer and Properties Windows via reg email (Can't find 'include file' here).

Still could use some hint on how to determine if the install went correctly and VS 2012 even recognizes it.   Cry

Tks!
=Alan R.

IP Logged

Harrzack

SOLVED! - Debugger woes
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
It turns out that in VS 2012 the debugger controls show up in The Misc section of the Properties.  The You Tube newbie debugging demo must have been made with 2010 or some other version...  does lead to a bit of confusion to VS/VM noobs such as my self!   

At least I got the break points to respond... but new questions now arise - time for another post Wink

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Hi there, In my 2012 the (Micro Debug) appears in Misc and everything else in their own sections.

The (Micro Debug) is in Misc because that is where the project Name is and VS selects it by default in some property views. So the Micro Debug is more obvious in Misc

Are you saying that ALL the debugger properties appear in "Misc"?

Thanks

IP Logged

Harrzack

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I will send screen-shots by reg email so you can see the setup.  I'm new to both VS and VM so finding my way around is still full of mystery.     Shocked

=Alan R.

Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:31pm:
Hi there, In my 2012 the (Micro Debug) appears in Misc and everything else in their own sections.

The (Micro Debug) is in Misc because that is where the project Name is and VS selects it by default in some property views. So the Micro Debug is more obvious in Misc

Are you saying that ALL the debugger properties appear in "Misc"?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Help finding the Visual Studio Properties Window
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I received your email and am pleased that you have now found the correct properties window (F4). 

You are not the first person to have problems finding the properties window...

Other please note

It is easy to pin/collapse this tool window to a tab in the IDE. 

So it can be easily missed. If you find the "Property Pages" dialog window that is the wrong window for VM properties. 

The "Properties Window" is a collapsible tool window available via F4 or the "View" menu
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2013 at 6:15pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint