Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) AVR Dragon programmer use? (Read 12070 times)
Doug Basberg

AVR Dragon programmer use?
Mar 30th, 2013 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I want to use a breadboard with an ATmega328p to develop various I/O strategies.  I bought an Atmel Dragon programmer that can handle many programmer modes (jtag, isp, HV, etc.).  I have not had success in using this programmer with VM/VS.  The programmer list does not contain "dragon_isp" as a programmer.  I did find it in the avrdude list. Huh  So, can I use my nice dragon programmer with VM/VS?  Can it be used with the debug package?  I also bought a Sparkfun ft232r breakout.  That is also not in the VM/VS programmer list.  Can this board be used for debugger operation.  Is that the right device for VM/VS?  Does the default bootloader in a new ATmega328p chip allow programming over ISP or rx/tx?  I guess I need to learn more before I can get to development of my project.  I am getting frustrated, but I do realize I am a novice in getting this going.  I appreciate any help.  Thank you. Smiley
By all means tell me if there is some document to help me learn about this, I will do the work of educating myself.  Both the Dragon and Sparkfun come with zero documents.

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Re: AVR Dragon programmer use?
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
You can set the programmer type in the avrdude.conf file to suit your programmer. Then program your chip with the optiboot bootloader (for 328 found under the arduino directories). Now connect your FTD232 usb converter board to the serial port. Look at the device manager to see what the port details are for your device. Connect VM to that port and program your sketches by means of the bootloader instead of the programmer. You need to use the bootloader in order to make use of the debug features of VM. Th programmer is not supported by VM. Remember, VM uses the arduino environment to do everything just like arduino. Just with the added pleasure of the editor and debugger features. The VM debugger adds a little bit of code to your sketch in order to send variable data and break point stuff to the IDE.

Look at the tutorial or wiki pages for VM to see how to configure and use the debugger. Oh you may have to ask the creator to send you the link for the debugger. Not sure if it is available for download without consent.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Hi,

VM shows the list of programmers from the arduino programmers.txt file. You can add your own programmer but you should ask on arduino.cc how to do this. When it works in the arduino ide then it should work in VM. 

The VM debugger uses rx/tx, programmers do not support this. You can upload with a programmer but you will need to set RemotePort and LocalPort project properties in VS to the required rx/tx ports for debug.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 2:55am
Print Post  
I got an Arduino nano board and connected it to the PC with a USB cable.  I did a release compile and upload and got the blinking LED.  I then added two breakpoints and did a debug compile which failed with error message 'error in VM_DBG.h 'ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'usb_serial_class' with no type'
Did I miss a property setting, or something?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Maybe you installed the wrong debugger. There are two debuggers on the beta page. I suggest uninstalling the debugger using control panel and running the install again

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Apr 5th, 2013 at 7:09am:
Maybe you installed the wrong debugger. There are two debuggers on the beta page. I suggest uninstalling the debugger using control panel and running the install again

Correct!  I removed and re-installed and everything works! Cool  This is so useful!  I would like to donate to the debugger team.  How can I do that? Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Great. Thanks for the update and the thought. The next version should include the option to buy the debugger for not very much money. It will be appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged

Bristin
Newbies

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
VM and supporting debugger is worth a price of admission. Will be happy to donate/buy when the time comes. 

I must say that I do perfer Visual Studio 2012 over Atmel Studio 6. I can see the future focus on Atmel because it is free and thus a potentially larger install base. But will you continue to support VS down the road?

I am a fan either way.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks. 

Yes VS will always be the one to use if you have VS Pro. 

The Vs version of the plugin will also support other non-avr platforms in the future when the Atmel version will always only support Atmel hardware.

FYI: The VM code is the same base with small "compile time" changes for the various VS versions. Keeping the base code the same should ensure that all versions of VS (inc. Atmel) will share the same upgrade path.

IP Logged

Bristin
Newbies

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Great. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint