Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

  • Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled
 
Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase) (Read 10930 times)
Jeremy
Newbies
*
Offline


Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 17th, 2012
Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Oct 10th, 2013 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Hey all,
   As they say... I'm a long time user and first time poster.  I used Visual Micro way back when vs2008 was new and it has been my main arduino programming ide with arduino 0022 core up till now.  Now I am moving all/most of my active projects to Arduino 1.0.5 and getting used to VS2012 with the new Visual Micro.

General Tip on Upload Using...
Okay, so I figured out how to use the "upload using programmer" bit (it would be nice if this were in the documentation somewhere).  I didn't even know about the Arduino sub menu in TOOLS.

To the question:
That being said, I notice that everytime I program using the AVRISPMKII, it overwrites my EEPROM where serial programming doesn't.  Is there a way to change this so that I can keep the existing EEPROM state?  While we are at it, Is there a way to program a custom EEPROM state into the chip instead of just overwriting it with 0xFF?

Thanks and great work on such a great tool!  Wink
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 12240
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Apr 10th, 2010
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Hi,

We will be adding more flexibility to the programmer system over the next few months. 

In the meantime you might find that arduino 1.5.x offers more flexibility. 

After instaling 1.5, I suggest asking the same question in the arduino.cc forum. When you have a solution for the arduino ide we can then apply that to Visual Micro if it doesn't happen automatically.

Thanks
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
Jeremy
Newbies
*
Offline


Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 17th, 2012
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply.  I'm downloading the 1.5.4 ide now and will check it out.

Through my own digging, I found that the EESAVE fuse bit was not set in the high fuse.  Even after I changed that in boards.txt, saved it, closed and reopened vs2012, it still erases the EEPROM on upload.

Here is my command to avrdude:
avrdude - "C:\Arduino_1_0_X\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -Uflash:w:"C:\Remote.hex":i

My next stop is to check out the conf file used for avrdude and see if there is something setting it there.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2013 at 4:47pm by Jeremy »  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 12240
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Apr 10th, 2010
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Hi, please test using the arduino 1.5.x it might be a bug in Visual Micro that the fuse change was not recognized.

Thanks

edit

ps: Click "tools>visual micro>reload toolchains" if you modify any arduino ide TXT files while VS is open. The menu item refreshes the running cache otherwise your changes will not be detected.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2013 at 5:12pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
Jeremy
Newbies
*
Offline


Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 17th, 2012
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Okay, so it seems that 1.5.4 isn't any better.  I made a post here on arduino.cc forum so both can be tracked together.
http://forum.arduino.cc//index.php?topic=192840.0

It seems that the upload from programmer doesn't change the fuse bits.  I think it should at least see if they are different and write them if so.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 12240
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Apr 10th, 2010
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Great thanks, I'll put it on the list if they don;t have a good reason for not supporting this.
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
Jeremy
Newbies
*
Offline


Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 17th, 2012
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 5:49pm:
Great thanks, I'll put it on the list if they don;t have a good reason for not supporting this.


Thanks!

For now, I'll just write the fuse bits the first time manually.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2013 at 6:52pm by Jeremy »  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Jeremy
Newbies
*
Offline


Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 17th, 2012
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the double post but since we are adding things to the list for upload using...  Can we add a flag to disable verify?  Arduino and Visual Micro both have verify hardcoded for using programmer but you allow disabling it for serial programming.

It would cut the time to flash in half at least.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 12240
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Apr 10th, 2010
Re: Upload Using Programmer (No EEPROM Erase)
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Yes good point, it should use the same global setting as the serial upload.

Thanks
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint