Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Arduino Due Project Guidance (Read 8068 times)
gyurko1
Newbies

Arduino Due Project Guidance
Sep 15th, 2014 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I'm working on a project with a custom design based on the Due.  The hardware does not have the USB ports accessible so I have to program/debug via a JTAG header.  I have code written using the Arduino libraries.  I also have a SAM-ICE JTAG programmer.
My question is will Visual Micro support the SAM-ICE from within Visual Studio, or will I need to use Atmel Studio?
From what I have read, I think it should work, but I've tried it, and there is no SAM-ICE in the Programmer menu.

Thanks,

Greg

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Arduino Due Project Guidance
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Good question.

The SAM-ICE will currently only show in Atmel Studio because we use the command line program (to upload via the ICE) called atprogram.exe that is supplied with Atmel Studio.

To allow the programmer to appear in Visual Studio would be an easy task but it is currently hidden because of the lack of atprogram.exe.

If you find an alternative to atprogram.exe or know how to install it in standalone mode then I can tell you how to enable it in Visual Studio. However I do not know of this solution or if it is available.

If you have installed atmel studio and run it once with the Visual Micro plugin installed then you will have a registry key that points to the atmel studio location. Therefore in theory Visual Micro could run the atprogram.exe from visual studio. I have not had time to try this out which is another reason for not allowing the programmer to show in visual Studio.

Sorry to be so vague but i can say that the programmer system is very flexible and you can add your own programmer combinations to the list. So if you have any ideas you can implement and we can consider the solution for the std release.

IP Logged

gyurko1
Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tim...I'll see if I can figure something out.  I'll let you know if I get it working.
BTW, will single breakpoints/single stepping work with the sam-ice from Atmel Studio?

Greg

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I'm not sure how to answer that. Are you uploading with the ICE then debugging using serial or digital pins? This is how the Visual Micro debugger works, it does not use the ICE.

Alternatively if you want native Atmel debugging then you would need to use Atmel Studio and then click "File>Open object file for debugging" after an Arduino/Vm compile.

Are you already debugging?

IP Logged

gyurko1
Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I wanted to program and debug with the ICE.   
The problem is that I already have a bunch of code written with the Arduino libraries, otherwise, I'd just create an ASF project.   
Any other thoughts on how to do native debugging once I started using the Arduino libraries?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Hi,

You can add your own programmers to the list, we use the std arduino 1.5.x system which supports your own hardware. We also provide additional config keys giving the location of the atmel tools.

The Visual Micro debugger is a replacement for Serial.println() which most people use to debug Arduino. It is not a replacement for a fully blown debugger and does not support debug of libraries.

However as mentioned previously you can build and upload an arduino program then use "file>open object file for debugging" and use the native atmel debugger.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint