Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Latest update removes add new library project option to existing solution. (Read 1722 times)
Cynthia MacLeod
Newbies

Latest update removes add new library project option to existing solution.
May 30th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Whilst the new template for project with library is useful; it seems to have replaced the option to add a new library project.
I can add a shared code project and then add the required files, but that makes it more error prone rather than less which is I think the reason for the new template.
Also it is unclear why the project local libraries are under the folder named _micro-api but that is a separate issue.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Latest update removes add new library project option to existing solution.
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post.

There is an SP1 update that contains the "Arduino Library" template here 1806.1 sp1

Quote:
Also it is unclear why the project local libraries are under the folder named _micro-api but that is a separate issue.

If you want lib sources within the local project without need for shared project then the _micro-api\libraries is an alternative that honours the arduino library build rules and supports debugging.

Shared libraries are often better but many users don't understand them. The shared library option was removed by mistake and is now reinstated.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2018 at 12:57pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Cynthia MacLeod
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Excellent with the update to return the library template.
I get the use case for the subfolder, however, I wasn't sure where the _micro-api bit came from... I kinda would have expected it just to be a folder called libraries under the project root.
In any case, I use
  • Solution
    • libraries
      • lib1
      • lib2
    • src
      • prj1
      • prj2

When I am developing as I often have a number of shared libraries developed for a system, with 1 or more embedded apps, either for different board revisions, for multiple use cases where conditional compilation is too difficult, or for multiple processors (often different types) for one system.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Thanks, yes it a pain. The _micro-api is a "temporary solution that will always be supported" while it gets more thought.

The problem is that Atmel Studio forces a Libraries node into the solution explorer with special facility to add .a files. So it becomes confusing, however Atmel is so poorly maintained maybe it needs to be dumped.

Then other tools have chosen the \Libs folder instead of \Libraries.

The system you are using with the shared library enabled you to use your \Libraries folder so it's a better solution within your control.

Ugg Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2018 at 10:07am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint