Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help with brand-new VS2017CE installation. What VM options to choose? (Read 1519 times)
FrankP

Help with brand-new VS2017CE installation. What VM options to choose?
Jun 3rd, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I'm a long-time user of VS2017CE & Visual Micro, but I need some help with a brand-new installation.

New PC, new VS2017CE install, fresh install of VM 1806.1.  I noted from the release notes that installation of an Arduino IDE is no longer required, so I selected 'Visual Micro (No IDE) in the IDE drop-down box.

However, I'm unsure what, if anything I need to do in the 'Manage Boards' tab of the Visual Micro Explorer dialog, and how to install the libraries I normally use, like PrintEx.  I tried selecting 'PrintEx' from the library list, but I didn't see anything happen, and nothing showed up in the Documents/Arduino/Libraries folder

Suggestions please?

TIA,

Frank

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Help with brand-new VS2017CE installation. What VM options to choose?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Hi Frank,

You should not use the (no ide) option it is for advanced users and will cause you confusion. 

Please ensure you have VS2017 with C++ installed.

Install the Arduino IDE

Then use the Visual Micro IDE locations window to specify the location of you Arduino IDE installation.

Thanks

IP Logged

FrankP

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 1:13pm:
Hi Frank,

You should not use the (no ide) option it is for advanced users and will cause you confusion. 

Please ensure you have VS2017 with C++ installed.

Install the Arduino IDE

Then use the Visual Micro IDE locations window to specify the location of you Arduino IDE installation.

Thanks

Tim,

Well, since I've been using VM, VS2017CE for several years now and have built dozens of Arduino projects in that environment, I think I qualify as 'advanced' Wink.

What's the downside of using the 'No IDE' option, other than the confusion issue?

Found the missing setting, and now I'm able to install libraries using the VM library manager.

Frank

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Hi Frank,

I was referring to advanced use of arduino and visual micro. This involves reading some of the docs to learn about extra flags or the micro explorer. Also requires an understanding of the structure of the arduino ide.

For example the arduino ide has built-in libraries which are lost when using no ide. So you find the library explorer and install some libs but that requires some support.

The arduino ide also installs an avr toolchain and some older toolchains give instruction of how to install avr extensions into the arduino ide hardware folder. So that would be confusing if you worked with that hardware now or in the future.

Installing avr via board manager is prone to issue because installing an arduino ide update in the future would then give two different versions of avr and lead to support issues. Hopefully they drop the avr from 1.9 when it comes out so users learn one way to find and install hardware via board manager.

Over the next months arduino 1.9 will be released with some new functionality. Visual Micro allows the different arduino versions to be used side by side and can query the ide folder to determine the version and subsequent functionality that visual micro should adhere to. When you drop the ide out of the picture things become less clear and less flexible unless you remain clear about what each ide provides.

So it's not a question of how experienced your VS or code is, it's just about Arduino Smiley

Recently you had a lib cache issue where you had changed some settings. Did the issue resolve after you reset your settings?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint