Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic VMicro menus don't work on fresh install with VS2017 Community (Read 2755 times)
LeeFL
Newbies

VMicro menus don't work on fresh install with VS2017 Community
Feb 15th, 2019 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I've just installed VisualMicro (latest download) and installed with both VS2017 Community (first) and then VS2013 Pro (tried because 2017 wasn't working)

The configuration wizard never appears automatically, as the documentation says it should, but the top level vMicro menu appears, with all the expected options underneath, but clicking on any of the menu items does absolutely nothing.
e.g.: clicking on "Visual Micro Explorer" just closes the menu and nothing happens.
The same thing happens in VS2017 and VS2013

I can create a new arduino project from File->New->Project , but not from vMicro->NewArduinoProject.

It seems like it's primarily the menus that are completely broken, but without being able to configure the IDE etc, I'm completely stuck, unable to use Visual Micro at all  Cry

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I already have the Arduino IDE installed (had been using ArduinoStudio) (versions 1.6.8 , 1.6.13 and 1.8.5 of the Arduino IDE are installed, for different projects)

IP Logged

Hartmut
Newbies

Re: VMicro menus don't work on fresh install with VS2017 Community
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I'm suffering from exactly the same phenomena!

A few days ago, I for the first time opened a VB.NET and a C++ project with my VS2013 Community, just for reviewing, without compiling and so on. No problem at this point of time. 

It all started today when I tried to do a little change on an Arduino program with my VS 2013 where the VMicro Arduino extension worked perfectly so far. The last time I opened it was mid January. 

Today, VS2013 started and immediately shut down itself when I double-clicked the .sln file of this Arduino project. Same behaviour when I tried to open this project from the Open Project menu inside VS2013. Could the previous .NET operation have toggled some deeply hidden switch, that disables VMicro?

I then re-installed VMicro on VS 2013 - no success. I re-installed VS and thereby upgraded to VS 2017 Community. I re-installed VMirco 2017 - no success. 

In addition to what LeeFL describes, I observed that, in the menu, the drop-down boxes, for the application name, the controller hardware, and the serial port are completely empty, although the associated multi-line tooltip texts appear as usual. Very strange. 

Since it seems to be independant from both, the VStudio and the VMicro version, I suspect some OS issue or in users/Appdata...  I'm running Windows 10 Pro V. 1803 Build 17134.590

Any help/idea would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2019 at 5:48pm by Hartmut »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
This was a Microsoft vsix creation bug that caused some Visual Micro program files to be missing. The problem is resolved in the 1902.15 release that has just been published to the gallery.

Easy install via "Tools>extensions and updates>updates"

Thanks for the report.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:06pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Hartmut
Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Thank you!
But installing from inside VS2017 failed ("Error #500"). 
Download link for Visual.Micro.Arduino.Studio.vsix file for Windows is hard to find. Why is there no download page offering previous versions as well?
Product is great, docs are great, but installing ... Sad

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Hi,

When installing from inside the ide you are using 100% microsoft gallery system outside of visual micro's control. Another users reported same over the past day or two so I am guessing there is some dns or network glitch they will fix.

The release notes and top of the visualmicro.com home page gives link to the notifications area where there is also alternative download and previous releases. The links have been made clearer and over the next month or so we should see some web site and documentation improvements.

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

IP Logged

Hartmut
Newbies

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Thank you again for your quick response!
I'm sorry, but I can't find any download link, neither in the top area of Home, nor in "Download" ->  "Download, Install and Setup Visual Micro and Atmel Studio 7" (where only Atmel Studio is covered). Under "Download" in the top menu bar, I would expect, and suggest to link to in your web site improvements to come, a page like the one you provide by the tiny "Reviews and Download" in the last line of your message, above Smiley 

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
The new releases link in my previous message shows a list of threads for each release of visual micro. Click the latest one which is currently 1902.15 there is a link for download along with a list of reasons for the release.

A direct link to the 1902.15 thread in the new releases link is here
https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1550256047

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint