Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can you debug for an Adafruit Feather M0 (Read 1394 times)
Nicholas Schoessling
Newbies

Can you debug for an Adafruit Feather M0
Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Hello, I was just wondering whether or not the debugging (I assume uses the serial port) will work for the Adafruit feather M0 board that requires the use of serialusb. 

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Can you debug for an Adafruit Feather M0
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Serial Debug

The Serial debugger will work with the SerialUSB port. If you own code sends without line terminators or send byte or reads the port then you should configure the debug to use an alternative serial port or softwareSerial.

Hardware Debug

I don't think the feather has EDGB on-board? In which case if you want to use the hardware debug options you would need an external debugger. The new hardware debug options require an external debugger which Visual Micro should already support. If not then let us know.

Does this help?

IP Logged

Nicholas Schoessling
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Hello, thank you for the quick response.  Being new to debugging, I do not fully understand what you mean by "If you own code sends without line terminators or send byte or reads the port then you should configure the debug to use an alternative serial port or softwareSerial."? Thank you very much.
-Nicholas Schoessling
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:34pm by Nicholas Schoessling »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I think your board has the Atmel EDBG hardware debug chip on the usb port. So in visual micro you can select hardware debug and the EDBG debugger. This should give you live step and variable watch.

If you have not invested in another device for debug then your other option is the software/serial debugger which you can find an overview of and usage guide in the documentation section accessed at the top of visualmicro.com or from within the IDE vMicro>Help menu.

If you want to use the Serial debugger on SerialUSB you might need to set the word SerialUSB into "vMicro>Debugger>RemotePort"

When using the Serial debugger on the upload/usb port, your own code might also use Serial.print or SerialUSB.print() etc. In this case use Serial.println() or SerialUSB.println() after you have output some serial. This ensures a line terminator \r\n is sent. 

If your own serial code performs a .read() on the serial you will need to follow the document of how to debug using Other Ports and Pins

IP Logged

Nicholas Schoessling
Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I appreciate all your help.  Thank you for your patience with me being new to all of this.  I understand what you mean now.  Thank you once again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint