Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Newest vmicro version not working for me... (Read 1529 times)
euquiq
Newbies

Newest vmicro version not working for me...
Mar 20th, 2020 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Hi! 

I just updated into latest vmicro version. My code now does not compile. 

It starts by stating: 

"Error running GCC-E during prototype extraction
\Release\partitions.csv:1:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #Name
# Name,   Type, SubType, Offset,  Size, Flags
   ^"

and telling me to turn off "Generate Prototypes" which I did, but the error keeps popping up just the same.

After that, it starts to ennumerate a TON of my functions with the dreaded " was not declared in this scope" ... something that happened to me when I used Arduino IDE, but NEVER BEFORE happened under Visual Studio (2019) and ANY earlier vmicro versions.

Same code. It just compiled fine until now. Latest version: 1.2020.0318  (Licensed).

What should I Do ? wait for a fix ? I did not change a thing in my code (it consists of sveral .INO files, as it is a big project and I needed to break it down for sake of clarity, which I did at the beginning - it was compiling fine divided as it is, until NOW, with latest vmicro version).

Thanks for any help / directions,

Enrique

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Newest vmicro version not working for me...
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
You can disable the new ctags prototype generation by adding a local project board.txt property as follows:-

vm.ctags=false

Please email your code to the address above so that we can resolve this in future release. The ctags system is required for most users so that missing prototypes can be inserted into the correct location, the older system was discontinued by arduino. We have a few remaining teething issues with the new system probably for a few weeks. In the meantime the older system will generate prototypes if you switch off the above property.

IP Logged

euquiq
Newbies

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 20th, 2020 at 5:33pm:

Please email your code to the address above so that we can resolve this in future release. The ctags system is required for most users so that missing prototypes can be inserted into the correct location, the older system was discontinued by arduino. We have a few remaining teething issues with the new system probably for a few weeks. In the meantime the older system will generate prototypes if you switch off the above property.

By code, you mean my Arduino code ?

Just to clarify, by killing prototypes then the other errors I have will KEEP going on:

Each function seems now to need to be declared before using it. So if i call a function spiffs_init(); from my main loop, being the main loop inside a start_main.ino and the spiffs related functions inside a spiffs.ino ... the call for the function above would issue a:

Main.ino: 342:14: error: 'spiffs_init' was not declared in this scope

THis is discused in here in a very old thread:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=42835.0

Hence the lack of those "prototypes" you are telling me to shut down would be the culprit

Regards,

Enrique

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
No, you should leave the project property "generate prototypes" = True but simply disable the vm.ctags.

Yes missing prototypes are inserted into the temp copy of the .ino code during build. Historically they have been placed before the first line of code in temp file. However that fails in many situations but is how things always worked. The ctags system allows us to find a more intelligent insert point. Not the case for you.

Yes please zip and email your project code if possible  and if you have not lready done so please follow the guide in yellow above to ensure we can replicate your environmnt when we look at it.

IP Logged

euquiq
Newbies

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I ended up manually declaring each function at the beginning of the first INO file, solving each error. until my code started compiling ok again.

I can only hope you fix whatever has broken inside visual micro latest version(s), as this is was a real "pain in the..." to address (about a hundred lines of prototype functions, also checking each function for the correct return data type etc.)

Regards,

Enrique.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report. These issues should now be resolved. + setting ctags to fals should not be required.

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2020 at 12:20am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint