Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Microchip Studio (Atmel Studio 7) No syntax errors are displayed in the ino file (Read 5026 times)
Rolf Degen

Microchip Studio (Atmel Studio 7) No syntax errors are displayed in the ino file
Jul 12th, 2021 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Hallo friends 

I use Microchip Studio and visual micro and Teensy 4.1. I have a problem with the display of errors in the ino file.

Compiler makes a build error, but no errors are listed. See example: Semicolon is missing.

This is only in the ino file. Errors in the other files are displayed 

Thanks for help and greetings from germany. Rolf
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2021 at 7:12pm by Rolf Degen »  

IP Logged

Rolf Degen

Re: Microchip Studio (Atmel Studio 7) Build error in the ino file but no error display
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Nobody has an idea  Cry

I got a tip. A workaround could be to move all code from the INO to a .CPP file. An empty INO works in other build tools.
Then that CPP would need to follow standard CPP rules: Include Arduino.,h manually, and declare prototypes, etc as needed to build.

I don't think that's a good idea. This may cause other problems in my large code. Please i need help. Thanks  Roll Eyes

I use the visual micro plugin. There seems to be a problem with that 

My Code 
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2021 at 6:36pm by Rolf Degen »  

IP Logged

Rolf Degen

No syntax errors are displayed in the ino file!
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
No syntax errors are displayed in the ino file !!!!

Wy ????  Where is the problem ???
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2021 at 7:08pm by Rolf Degen »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Microchip Studio (Atmel Studio 7) No syntax errors are displayed in the ino file
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the post. 

The intellisense and syntax highlighting in Microchip studio is implemented by the VisualAssistX extension that is installed when Microchip Studio is installed. 

The Visual Micro installer (or startup code) does attempt to add the .ino file extension to the list of VisualAssistX. I can't recall if the file extention list used to be in the VisualAssist>VisualAssistX options dialog but the registry key was:-

RegEdit>Either local machine or current user:- 
Code
Select All
"Software\Atmel\Whole Tomato\Visual Assist X\ExtSourceAvr" 

The problem seems to be related to the change of IDE from Atmel to Microchip. I don't see a registry key for "Software\Atmel\Whole Tomato" or "Software\Microchip\Whole Tomato"

The key value should be a semi-colon seperated list of file extensions but is probably empty therefore we would create it.

It looks like we need to ask VisualAssist or Microchip. Can you see "Whole Tomatoe" section in your registry?
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2021 at 9:27pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Rolf Degen

Re: Microchip Studio (Atmel Studio 7) No syntax errors are displayed in the ino file
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Thank you for your prompt reply. I cannot find ExtSourceAvr in the registry  Huh

Thanks for help  Smiley

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 8:58am
Print Post  
If you expand the AtmelStudio7 key it should be visible

IP Logged

Rolf Degen

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Ok i found it. What should I do now ?

Should I better downgrade to Atmel Studio 7?

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2021 at 9:24am by Rolf Degen »  

IP Logged

Rolf Degen

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I tested old Atmel Studio 7 version 7.0.2389 It's the same mistake  Cry
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2021 at 3:29pm by Rolf Degen »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
We tested this. I might be this is how atmel works. Its intellisense isn't the best, for example in Visual Studio code disabled by #if is shown in gray but not in atmel studio.

I am not sure there is a perfect solution, VS code checking is much better but it reports everything, even lower level stuff it doesn't understand, where as atmel just ignores what it doesn't understand.

As far as matching braces goes you would think that would be the first thing the IDE writer would look to get right. The build button will give you the report but I realize by that time it can be confused about the problem and report too much.

AS7 hasn't been updated for many years, aside from name change. VS is a good ide if you can use it. Hardware debuggers are okay but no debugger in any ide is as good as the native atmel debugger on atmel hardware. Sadly atmel falls away when attempting to use non-atmel hardware and there is a lot of it about.

Sorry can't be more help. We will raise a ticket with microchip but I won't keep my fingers crossed. You could do same if you are inclined.

As I final note I see the intellisense is working in ino files. It is possible this is an IDE issues as opposed to a problem with the VisualAssistX extension. It isn't clear.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2021 at 6:42pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Atmel Studio's license means they only want to support Atmel hardware generally, so this may be a good opportunity to try Visual Micro in Visual Studio instead.

VS has more features than Atmel Studio as it is still being actively developed by Microsoft, and the Teensy 4.1 also has Software Debugging available as shown below, as well as the vMicro Serial Debugger:
https://www.visualmicro.com/page/Teensy-GDBDebugging.aspx

It also doesn't suffer the intellisense problem found here.

IP Logged

Rolf Degen

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I will continue to use Microchip Studio for this project and accept the mistake. But.. It will cost me a little more time and nerves. Thanks for your great help  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2021 at 12:25pm by Rolf Degen »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint