Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Debugger freezes program (Read 5784 times)
Tim SHP
Newbies

Debugger freezes program
Sep 21st, 2014 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Hello

I'm trying to debug a sketch which uses a Teensy 3.1 and the OctoWS2811 library to control LED strips. The Debugger works fine on the Octo example sketch but when I try and use it on my sketch (with all the same settings) it freezes on the break point and gives me no data.

I've attached the ino file with the Setup and main loop on it but you might have to forgive the code as I'm abit new to this and self taught.

Any help on way this is happening would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

Tim

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Debugger freezes program
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Please confirm where in the code you have breakpoints, what the "When hit" is, which serial port you are using and if you have altered the speed in the project properties to match your sketch code

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim SHP
Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
So Have tried putting the breakpoint in many places but ended up putting it on the first Serial.println statement it was set just to print {time} to mirror the Serial.println statement so I cold check they were both saying the same thing. I'm using Serial port 72 (which as I said was working fine with the example code in the octo library).

I've not altered any speeds is this the band rate?

One thing that might or might not be relivant When I open the Solution it ask me to select a Device. As I'm using a teensy and there's nothing which matches I'm just picking the Atmega328p

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Oh I see.

1st thing is to change your Ide locations and use the Teensy entry instead of Arduino 1.0.x. One of the reasons for the teensy option in the list is to prevent the device message in atmel for teensy 3 boards.

2nd thing

Your code sets the serial port to a speed of 9600. The debugger defaults to 115200 and you will see this in the serial monitor. Normally I would expect the debugger to fail if the speed is wrong. The way to tell the debugger the speed you want to use is to set the RemoteSpeed project property http://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Debugging-With-Different-Por...

Having said this something at the back of my mind tells me that Teensy ignores any serial speed settings and does it's own clever thing so maybe the previous statement is for Arduino users. I don't have time to test this right no but the result in normal Arduino use for certainly be no data.

Lastly

When it freezes can you please upload a screen shot. 

Out of interest have you got continue execution checked on the breakpoint "when hit" window? Are you expecting to break or trace?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim SHP
Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Ok so thought i'd set it to the Teensy IDE but I went back and checked and it still seem to be on Arduino 1.0.x so changed it again, then check again and no change? 

So I think the problem with is I'm pointing it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino
which it where the Teensy IDE ask to be put (just reinstalled it to be sure) but there's no file in it saying Teensy or such like so I'm not convinced it's there. Any idea how I can find where it is?

I've changed the speed but still same result.
The break point's set to print {time} when hit (so I think that makes it a trace point?) 

attached is a screen shot of when it freezes

Cheers for your help so far but still no joy

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Please switch on tool>visual micro>verbose messages

Then compile and upload a debug version

After that please zip and email the following two sets of files

1) The files from your sketch folder including any sub folders (such as the visual micro) folder
2) The files from the build folder shown in the compiler output window.

This will save me asking lots of questions.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim SHP
Newbies

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Ok will do. I won't be back on it till Wednesday now though.

Cheers

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
ok thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint