Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I'm looking into options for serial debug monitors (Read 1683 times)
Amandalee
Newbies

I'm looking into options for serial debug monitors
Apr 20th, 2017 at 9:18am
Print Post  
I'm working with an 8051 (Cypress FX2LP) that doesn't have jtag/bdm capability. Typically, developers on this project have been using ad-hoc serial printfs for debugging. I'm looking into options for serial debug monitors such as Keil's Mon51, Isd51 or IAR's generic ROM-monitor.

I'll need to modify/configure this debug monitor to write to code RAM (to set software breakpoints). I'd guess that most 8051 debug monitors offer the ability for such modifications in order to support Harvard architecture or bank switching.

The Keil tools come with Mon51 and Isd51. The Isd51 is very small and comes as source that can optionally be embedded in the application. This can all be done with the free Keil eval (subject to the eval size limitations).

In the datasheet of MSC1210(http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf2286/MSC1210Y2PAGR.pdf), it explains some strategies for serial debugging on an 8051.

If this Cypress part had jtag/bdm - it would be a no-brainer - I'd use that.

Does anybody have recommendations for serial debuggers for 8051 or similar processors?

Have you had to modify it to write to Harvard code RAM or flash etc?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: I'm looking into options for serial debug monitors
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Hi,

Does the processor you are using support Arduino?

Does it support Serial.print() and Serial.println() or does it support Arduino SoftwareSerial?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint