Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to debug shared libraries (Read 2878 times)
Ali

How to debug shared libraries
Mar 6th, 2018 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Hi Tim

I feel defeated! Cry I have tried debugging but had zero luck with breaking points in shared project libraries. The breakpoint in .ino works fine but the one in shared project does not.

I used forum search and searched for "debug" and read everything that was available. (17 items)

I went through all documents regarding the debugging again.

I checked the breakpoint window and it is all good.
I checked Compile.vmps.xml and it has the breakpoints correctly. At least from the way it looks.
I closed and open the solution to make sure it is saved with breakpoints. It was all good too.

I have tried with 2 projects (inĀ  case something is wrong with the project), this is a simpler version and straight to the point. I hate to be that guy who always ask questions but my brain is not helping any more.

I am still going to work on it for the rest of the day till you become available and will definitely let you know if I understood what I am doing wrong not to waste your time.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:16pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: How to debug shared libraries
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Split to new thread for clarity

Shared libs are quite new. I will re-test over the next week or so before I comment on this question.

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:17pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Ali

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Thank you Tim

With 99.9999999999% confidence I can say that the debugging feature as of now does not work on shared library.

I have attached a file with a project containing:
SharedLibrary
SharedProject
And also AddedFilesToSketch which are .h and .cpp added to sketch folder.

The breakpoints works in every place except the one placed in the SharedLibrary.

I think the issue is that shared library is treated as normal Arduino library and that is why it won't even bother about debugging since it thinks it is normal library. I could be wrong but I think that should be the issue. I also guess if the simplified including is tied with no debugging, it may take you a longer time to fix the issue. But if they work independently then I think the debugging feature should be easily enabled for shared libraries. I realized in the past you had shared library and normal library, I guess considering the debugging, it may be a good idea to keep them as 2 separate things. Or treat anything in Library path as normal library and anything out of it as Shared Library (if it looks like a library of course). Anyways you are the captain, I just hope I have provided enough insight.

Thank you again for all the hard work.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Ali

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Please let me know if debugging will be supported in shared libraries. If yes, when are you expecting that to happen?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint