Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Uploading to Arduino Mega2560 (Read 9091 times)
Jim Michener
Newbies

Uploading to Arduino Mega2560
Dec 4th, 2011 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Am using Visual Studio 2010 with Arduino 1.0 and the latest and greatest Visual Micro.  (VS is far better than the Arduino IDE).    Everything works fine with a an Arduino Uno board.  I can build code and hit the green triangle and it uploads and runs on the board just fine.   However,  when I build a project on for the Mega2560 board,  it builds the HEX file fine and then it starts to upload and it hangs.  Visual Studio no longer responds to anything and Task Manager is then used to kill the process.

The procedure to upload using avrdude is different between the Uno and the Mega boards.   The Uno a simple switch of " -pm2560 -carduino" works fine.  

Now this same problem is with the Eclipse IDE.

The only successful avrdude upload I have had to Arduino Mega2560 board is.. using this as a bat file...  the two commands must be run RIGHT after each other.

C:\Users\James\arduino-1.0\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude.exe -CC:\Users\James\arduino-1.0\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf -v -v -v -pm2560 -carduino -P\\.\COM7 -b115200 -D ntrol.hex:a
C:\Users\James\arduino-1.0\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude.exe -CC:\Users\James\arduino-1.0\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf -v -v -v -pm2560 -cstk500v2 -P\\.\COM7 -b115200 -D ntrol.hex:a

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Uploading to Arduino Mega2560
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
thanks for the info. i have just compiled and uploaded to a 2560 using both v18 (arduino 0023) and v19 (arduino 1.0)

so i'm not sure why you are getting issues outside of arduino. arduino 1.0 does contain a new version of avrdude but vm fully qualifies the avrdude path. so i can't see how we would be running the wrong version

which windows op sys are you on?

IP Logged

Jim Michener
Newbies

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Windows 7

I have both Arduino 1.0RC-2 and Arduino 1.0,  but I only told VM v19 the path to 1.0.  Does VM use the path that you give in the UI or does it take it from an environmental variable?

Is there a setting somewhere I can change that would put avrdude into verbose mode?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 7:48am
Print Post  
it uses the full path given in the ui. v20 is out now and has some compiler fixes but the upload has not changed.

no verbose doesn't show upload at the moment, will add for v21

i use windows 7

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Jim, this problem is fixed in v21. It worked for me because I have updated usb/fdti drivers for non-arduino boards.

With the arduino usb drivers, the 2560 doesn't reset properly for the upload. We found that the arduino source code forces a reset prior to upload, so vm now does the same. 

This has been tested with a previously failing upload to a 2560. Let us know if you have any other issues.

Thanks

IP Logged

Jim Michener
Newbies

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Fantastic!  It works great! Thanks for fixing this and shedding light on the problem!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint