Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Error Decoding List or FAQ (Read 13741 times)
Tommyb
Newbies

Error Decoding List or FAQ
Jun 20th, 2012 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Not sure how useful or how repeatable these may be, but a list of errors and possible issues could be useful. 
Here is one that cost me a few hours.
Error 
Compiling 'X' for 'Arduino Uno'
X.pde : No such file or directory
Error compiling

Cause
#include library call was miss-spelled (cap missing)
Gotoerror lead to random location

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Error Decoding List or FAQ
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I'm looking into a better way to display errors. In the meantime if you have difficutly then you can compile in Arduino IDE.

The arduino ide provides a checkbox in preferences called "External Editor". Switch the option on so that you can open a sketch at the same time in both VS and Arduino.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Sometimes you can double click the errors to show you the incorrect code line. Normally, if an error is more than one line then the 2nd line of error is the one that can be clicked.

IP Logged

Tommyb
Newbies

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Yes double clicking is a very valuable. It took me a bit to appreciate that the  pointer is at where code stopped, not the line that causes the error.

Now for a new error upon compiling. This has happened in the past and would be corrected if the sketch was closed and the reopened. This sketch had worked fine in the past. Also, I just checked it and it compiles fine in ArduinoIDE.
Here is the error:

Compiling 'PIDTEST' for 'Arduino Uno'
PIDTEST.ino : No such file or directory
Error compiling

After I compiled it in ArduinoIDE, the file was converted and saved as PIDTEST.INO. Previously is was PIDTEST.PDE. Both extension had same error in VMicro.

I looked for a temp folder in the /Builds folder but did not see one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help, this is really great!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 2:43am
Print Post  
It shouldn't matter if the extension is .pde or .ino. It sounds like it can't find a library. 

Can you show the code of the sketch or email it please?

Are you using vs 2010 or 2008?

Which version of arduino are you using?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tommyb
Newbies

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Hello,
I am using VS 2010, Arduino 1.01 on an Uno board. 
Ill email the sketch to you.
I am happy if you post any part of the sketch that might help others learn from my mistakes.

tommyb

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the files. You didn't need to send the visual studio temp files such as .sdf (14mb) Smiley 

Out of the 7 files there was only one real code file PIDTEST.ino. 

When I open PIDTEST.ino in Visual Studio I see red squigles under PID_v1.h and time.h. These are two non-standard arduino header or library files that I do not have installed. 

If header files are missing you would expect the compile error you noted above.

You said that the same sketch compiles okay in arduino so it must have these two libraries installed.

All this leads me to believe that your Visual Micro options are pointing to a different version of the arduino.exe to the one you tested with.

Can you confirm the path you have set in Tools>Options>Visual Micro>Arduino Application and also the path to the arduino.exe that works for you.

Thanks

Two missing includes or libraries

#include <PID_v1.h>
#include <time.h>

IP Logged

Tommyb
Newbies

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Hello, sorry for the delay! And apologies for the big debug file. 
I thought I checked the files and since they were sub 10kb, I thought what the heck, Ill include them all;(

Back to business: the Arduino.exe were correctly called by both IDE's.

The squigles though were the hint all right. I had copied the time.h library from ArduinoPlaygrond into the library directory and installed it with the Add library feature thinking everything was ok. I commented that one line out and VM compiled fine. It is interesting that Arduino.exe was able to compile the same code without a problem?
Please let me know if you would like me to try anything for your benefit!

Thanks again,
tommyb

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Hi TommyB,

No probs on the delay. We all do this stuff when we can Smiley

I don't think the Arduino would be able to compile if the time lib was missing. Both vm and arduino use avrdude for compile and the errors you encountered were avrdude errors. 

Are you sure vm is using the same copy of arduino that you tested with? (arduino found the time.h that is for sure). Or did you possibly remove the time lib in between tests?

IP Logged

marekh
Newbies

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Hello,
it seems I have very similar problem, maybe exactly the same.
I have been using Arduino IDE for very long time(but not for editing, for editing source code I used VS2010 Express edition).
Now I have discover VM possibility so I have installed VS2010 Prof and VM plugin.
When I tried to compile my previously created sketch(es) which was possible to compile without problems under Arduino I have received following errors:
Thanks,
marekh

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
hi, sorry i removed some of your message when trying to look into forum problems.

your message showed visual micro trying to compile the arduino wprogram.h will was used prior to arduino v1.0. in 1.0 the file should be arduino.h

this problem has been reported by two users after a fresh install. it was fixed by cloing visual studio and re-intalling the addin (run the .msi again from codeplex)

after you shutdown visual studio, and before running the visual micro install, please make sure visual studio has completely shutdown properly. Do this by opening windows task manager and clicking processes. Terminate any devenv.exe processes that you can see in the list.

Please let me know if this fixes the problem and also if you received an email from me.

Thanks

IP Logged

marekh
Newbies

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Hi,

thank you for your explanation email.
I have tried to "re install" vm 1.1207.02 according your suggestion a lot of time without success(I have checked task manager to be sure that denenv.exe is not running, also tried to restart PC between "re installation" vm just for sure).

Then I have removed last installed vm ver. 1.1207.02 and installed ver. 27 and this version works fine.
Do you have any idea why the latest version 1.1207.02 has a problem with right detection of Arduino version?

marekh

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
well I thought it might but when i tested it it worked. arduino changed the format of the version number in 1.0.1 so there was a change in this area.

1.0.1 works best for everything, it's much better than 1.0.1 and is compatible. 1.0.1 includes special handling for arducopter so it's worth using.

I will do some more 1.0 testing and also some arducopter testing over the next week and let you know what I find

Thanks for persisting and giving feed back

IP Logged

marekh
Newbies

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I can try 1.0.1 - it is not problem for me. I did not know about changes between 1.0 and 1.0.1.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Yes the main change for arducopter is that arduino 1.0 and earlier had a restriction on program size. Diyd made a relax patch for it but the patch contained an invalid/earlier arduino version number which throws out visual micros ability to auto detect the correct arduino version.

Arduino 1.0.1 handles larger programs properly so no patch is required and that means less confusion for us Smiley Arducopter is quite possibly the largest arduino program ever made, the code syntax is very clever Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
I've found the reason why vm will not compile arducopter. It will be fixed in the next release in the meantime you can fix the problem as follows:-

1) Comment out line 3 of GCS_Mavlink.pde like this...
Code
Select All
//#include "Mavlink_compat.h" 

2) Add the following line just after line 105 of arducopter.pde ...
Code
Select All
#include "Mavlink_compat.h" 

That's it! 

Why the problem?

This doesn't change the way arducopter works it just that vm is combining the .pde files into the temp.cpp for the compiler in the wrong order. 

The order shouldn't really matter but rules are rules, so vm needs to change slightly.

Thanks for your patience and the reports

If you encounter any more problems please open a new thread
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 10:01pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint