Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Create new version of existing project (Read 8919 times)
Ergodic
Newbies

Create new version of existing project
Jun 27th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I'm a little unclear on this with Visual M - what is the correct (simpliest) way to create a new version of an existing project?

For example, I'll have a project folder PROJECT1_V3 . I want to keep that as-is with all the files as they are, but then spin off a PROJECT1_V4 copy from that.

I can of course simply copy the entire project folder but then the names and references are wrong.

Not looking for any sort of version control, just a save-as kind of thing.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Create new version of existing project
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Hi,

We have some better options coming along but this might help a little:-

1)

It's only really the code that is important and for arduino the main sketch name must match the name of the folder that contains it. When you open any sketch with Visual Micro,  the project files are recreated if missing.

2)

If you copy the entire folder than also rename the vs/atmel project files in the sketch folder so they have the same name as the sketch and the folder. 

If using atmel studio, when you open the project then you also need to rename the project in the solution explorer before visual micro will work. This is because Atmel differs from Vs where the project file name and internal name are two different things.

3)

You can also copy the entire folder to another location without changing anything or just zip it.

4)

You can rename easily by right clicking the [sketch_name].ino in the solution explorer and click the Visual Micro "Rename sketch" option.

IP Logged

Ergodic
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I think part b of your #2 is what I was missing. I'll give that a try.

A basic project save-as inside the IDE would be helpful.

IP Logged

Ergodic
Newbies

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:40am
Print Post  
OK. I couldn't see any way to rename the project in the solution explorer (just remove/cut/copy). And it would just say "loading project in the background."

So I deleted and re-added the project files which seems to have gotten past that issue.

But now I'm getting an error on a library #include referenced in one of the libraries I have saved in the project folder:

from .././segs.cpp:756: V:\<project folder>\LPD8806.h(5,22):
error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory

The "LPD8806" library exists in my local Arduino library folder (My Documents/Arduino).

I've tried copying the LPD8806.h/.cpp files to the VM project folder and also copying it in as a subfolder. But nothing seems to resolve.

It also appears this is something that is now afflicting my older VM projects also, this after upgrading to the latest Arduino and the latest VM/Atmel Studio.

I could definitely use a little advice here. I'm kind of lost and I can't compile much of anything. I've actually had to go back to the Arduino IDE (ugh).

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Hi,

I explained where the rename it and it is also in the docs.

You have not said if you are using visual studio or atmel studio.

For visual studio simply code the ide, delete the .vcxproj and other vs files from your sketch folder. Just leave your .ino/cpp/h code. then re-open the sketch. This will cause visual micro to recreate the project for you. Normally this is not required but I don't have time to ask lots of questions about what you have done.

IP Logged

Ergodic
Newbies

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
It is Atmel Studio.

When I follow the instructions in your #2, the attached image is what I end up with ("loading..."). When I right-click, it only offers "Reload Project" and Cut/Paste/Remove. There is no rename option as there is when the project loads properly.

But as I said, I think I've gotten past that problem by just deleting and re-adding the project files.

My problem now is that imbedded library #include statements are now not working after the VM/AS and Arduino 1.6.4 upgrades. That is also the case for my projects that complied OK previously under VM/AS. (They do compile OK when I just use the Arduino IDE.)

Perhaps I would have done better to ask this as a separate topic then.

I know you said you don't have time to ask questions, but it's very hard for me to anticipate what you need to know since I have no idea what the problem is or where to look.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Sorry the option is just called "Rename"

It's a standard feature of Atmel but when used with the main sketch ino Visual Micro should attempt the rename for you.

Rename in Arduino means the folders, the sketch.ino and the project need to be renamed.

Bu as I said if you have a problem just delete the sketch files from the source code folder and re-open ide/sketch. As long as the folder name and sketch.ino match then Visual Micro will auto create a project for you.

ps: You have to right click the SketchName.ino not the project
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:39pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

GoofBall
Newbies

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:38pm:

ps: You have to right click the SketchName.ino not the project

I did, but can't get it to work.  Steps:
1. copy entire folder (keeping the original folder name)

2. in the new folder location, start solution

3. rename parent.ino (contains setup() and loop())  to child.ino

4. Visual Micro popup:  "Unable To create a sketch folder With this name 'child'   The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Any ideas?   VisualStudio 15.6.6  VisualMicro 1806.2.1

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint