Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic VS2015com The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application reque (Read 5365 times)
Tapio Haapala
Newbies

VS2015com The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application reque
Sep 19th, 2015 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I use visual studio 2015 community, arduino ide 1.6.4 and board type Generic ESP8266 Module. When I try compile and upload code I get following error:
Binary sketch size: 317 388 bytes (used 30% of a 1 044 464 byte maximum) (4,70 secs)
Minimum Memory Usage: 52060 bytes (64% of a 81920 byte maximum)
Uploading to I/O board using 'COM53'
Uploader started for board Generic ESP8266 Module
Upload method will be: bootloader
Uploading via Bootloader 
Flushing the serial port
The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

If I take same sketch and open it with arduino ide and upload it then it works well. Port is right, it is not at use. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: VS2015com The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application reque
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report.

In recent versions it appears that Arduino has removed code that previously opened and closed the serial port prior to upload. This was called "flushing the serial port".

The equivalent code has been defaulted to OFF in the next release of Visual Micro due over the next day or so.

I think it is the usb being busy from opening and closing of the port during flush that is causing the esp8266 uploader to fail.

If you know about the boards.txt system in the arduino packages folder you can add the following property to stop the flush in your visual micro version but it's easier to wait for the  next release.

Code
Select All
upload.disable_flushing=true 

IP Logged

Tapio Haapala
Newbies

Re: VS2015com The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application reque
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Thank you. I have also some suggestions:
Support to use serial monitor at different port. I normally use two serial adapter connected to same serial port because it is lot faster and robust way to debug things. So currently I need keep putty for monitoring. 

Also another idea is quite esp8266 specific  so I dont know do it fit you priority, but I throw it anyway. Support for some kind remote flash. This is one library for it. 
https://harizanov.com/2015/06/firmware-over-the-air-fota-for-esp8266-soc/
But I mean mostly that code sniplet and library what you can drop with "single klick" to your code. It randomize some kind static auth key to that code and then IDE automatically find that chip with udp broadcast and upload firmware with rest or udp socket.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks I will look at the firmware.

You can open many serial ports at once. Use "View>Other Windows>Serial Monitor". This opens ports without altering the selected upload port.

Also if you are not using serial for upload then the main tool bar allows you to change port and click the monitor button. Each port will again be opened in a different tool window.

If you are using the visual micro debugger you can click the Project properties icon and selected a different serial port or using softwareserial (if available for esp8266). The software serial option only requires one pin if you want to debug trace without break.

Not sure which of those points will be useful to you  Smiley

IP Logged

Tapio Haapala
Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Thank you. That View>Other Windows>Serial Monitor was exactly what I was looking for Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint