Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) WICED Feather and VisualMicro (Read 11217 times)
hack-o-holic

WICED Feather and VisualMicro
Apr 11th, 2016 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I've been successful in installing, configuring and using the Arduino IDE with the new Adafruit WICED Feather board.  I cannot seem to get VS 2015 with VisualMicro to compile and upload.  I see all the same hardware, port and user code choices but it just doesn't work.

Anyone have success with the WICED feather?  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong and why I can't get them to work together?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: WICED Feather and VisualMicro
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
If you switch the toolbar from "debug/local windows debug" to "Release" does it then build okay?

Can you please post the error you see after compile. Switch on "Visual Micro>Verbose" then build and post or email the output.

And confirm which .json file or .zip you used to install the hardware

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2016 at 12:18am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 12:25am
Print Post  
There is a drop down that says "Debug" and it has a choice for "Release".  There is also a second drop down for "Local Windows Debugger".  I assume you mean the first and when I changed to release, nothing was any different.  Still fails the same way with pages and pages of output in the Micro Build Output window.

Anything else I can check?

Here is the tremendously long error message.

Code
Select All
Compiling 'CJR_WICED_MPL3115A2_AIO_Test' for 'Adafruit WICED Feather'
Build folder: t/Adafruit_WICED_Arduino_feather
Summary: Header=1 Prototypes=5 Imports=5
Additional Defines:
Architecture Tools: 8.3-2014q1/bin/
GCC: 4.8.3
Sketchbook: file:\\\C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino
Sketch Include Paths
Include Path 'C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\CJR_WICED_MPL3115A2_AIO_Test'
Core Include Paths
Include Path ores\maple'
Include Path ariants\feather'
.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++"  -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_feather -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOA -DERROR_LED_PIN=15 \cores\maple/libmaple" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=120000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_STM32_FEATHER -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F205RG -mthumb -DSTM32F2       \cores\maple" \variants\feather" uit_WICED_Arduino_feather\CJR_WICED_MPL3115A2_AIO_Test.cpp" -o "nul"
.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++"  -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_feather -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOA -DERROR_LED_PIN=15 \cores\maple/libmaple" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=120000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_STM32_FEATHER -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F205RG -mthumb -DSTM32F2       \cores\maple" \variants\feather" -I"C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_MQTT" pp" -o "nul"
.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++"  -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_feather -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOA -DERROR_LED_PIN=15 \cores\maple/libmaple" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=120000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_STM32_FEATHER -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F205RG -mthumb -DSTM32F2       \cores\maple" \variants\feather" -I"C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_MQTT" lient.cpp" -o "nul"
.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++"  -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_feather -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOA -DERROR_LED_PIN=15 \cores\maple/libmaple" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=120000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_STM32_FEATHER -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F205RG -mthumb -DSTM32F2       \cores\maple" \variants\feather" -I"C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_MQTT" uit_WICED_Arduino_feather\CJR_WICED_MPL3115A2_AIO_Test.cpp" -o "nul"
.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++"  -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_feather -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOA -DERROR_LED_PIN=15 \cores\maple/libmaple" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=120000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_STM32_FEATHER -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F205RG -mthumb -DSTM32F2       \cores\maple" \variants\feather" -I"C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_MQTT" \libraries\AdafruitAIO" ibraries\AdafruitAIO\adafruit_aio.cpp" -o "nul"
.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++"  -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_feather -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOA -DERROR_LED_PIN=15 \cores\maple/libmaple" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=120000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_STM32_FEATHER -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F205RG -mthumb -DSTM32F2       \cores\maple" \variants\feather" -I"C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_MQTT" \libraries\AdafruitAIO" ibraries\AdafruitAIO\adafruit_aio_feed.cpp" -o "nul"
.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++"  -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_feather -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOA -DERROR_LED_PIN=15 \cores\maple/libmaple" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=120000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_STM32_FEATHER -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F205RG -mthumb -DSTM32F2       \cores\maple" \variants\feather" -I"C:\Users\CJR\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_MQTT" - 

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2016 at 9:03pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
There is actually much more to the message but it exceeds the 8000 character limit and I don't see a way to attach a text file.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Hi, I have added the missing attach file option to this forum board thanks.

What you have posted is enough for now.

We just need to know where you downloaded the core from.

Thanks

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
The "core"?  If you mean the WICED setup files and libraries, I got them all straight from Adafruit via their WICED Feather tutorial on the learning system https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-adafruit-wiced-feather-wifi.  Right away, I had issues with the I2C libraries and KTown and the other developers made some changes and had me pull new libraries from the dev branch.  See this thread over on the Adafruit forums.
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=93496#p470977.  Does that help answer your question?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 11:57am
Print Post  
The problem is that it takes time to read pages such as that and to find the url that leads us to the download.

So if you can please post the url for the download it will save me some pointless reading Smiley

Thanks

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Here is the direct link to the GitHub repo.  https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_WICED_Arduino/tree/development

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks I have tested it and it works fine if you switch the toolbar from "Debug/Local windows debugger" to "Release".

I will look at the debug options for the board, both serial debug and gdb if possible.

ps: A better compiler message has been added if debug is not support.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2016 at 7:22pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Is this set how you want it?  See attachment.  I still get the giant error message.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2016 at 9:06pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
I just tried compliling the Blink sketch and like you said, it appears to compile.  Here is my sketch minus the personal info.  This compiles fine in Arduino IDE but fails spectacularly in VM.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Decided to test some more with Blink.ino.  It does seem to compile but it gives a new error when you actually hook the Feather board up and try to compile AND upload the code.

admin edit: removed image and added error message:-

Quote:
Uploading to xyz on COMz
File not found or not a binary file
Upload complete

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2016 at 9:05pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I have the same results as the arduino ide.

Can you confirm you are using a recent version of visual micro. The version is shown in "tools>extensions & updates". There was a new arduino upload format introduced a couple of months ago.

Also switch on "Visual Micro>Verbose Messages" then try the upload and attach or email the output into x .txt (not screen shot). 

Thanks

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I am running version 1603.30.4.  I am running Arduino IDE version 1.6.7

I assume you do not have this hardware to test with and I wonder if that is why you can't see the same results.  I noticed that the upload process to this board looks completely different than it always has in the past using regular Uno compatible boards.  I know the setup and installation require Python etc so is something radically different going on to accomplish this upload?

See the attached picture taken from the Adafruit WICED learning webpage and notice the orange text in the output window.  If this were working correctly in VS 2015 with VisualMicro, I would expect to see the same orange text with the same text based upload progress bars that I see when using the native IDE only.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Yes I see the same in Visual Micro as the Arduino Ide.

As requested previously it is important that you do the following:-

Quote:
switch on "Visual Micro>Verbose Messages" then try the upload and attach or email the output into x .txt (not screen shot).

Thanks

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I understand.  I'm at work without the device so took a shot with that last idea.  I'll get you the real data you request tonight.  Thanks!

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Here is the verbose output from my latest upload attempt of my own sketch.

IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Here is the verbose output of the standard Blink sketch with the single addition of the #include <adafruit_Feather.h> statement.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 4:43am
Print Post  
I think this is something to do with the switch to short file names during upload. This was implemented because some other hardware failed to work with long file names.

Please try the latest release of visual micro. Then place a text file called board.txt in the project folder (where the .ino is)

Put this in the file:-

Code
Select All
upload.8dot3=false 

Let me know it that fixes it. If it does I will add it to the stm32 defs of the next release

Can you also confirm if you have the pro version active? If not then let me know and I will get you a key. This test will only work is the pro license is enabled although the final solution will work in free and pro.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2016 at 4:44am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

hack-o-holic

Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Not 100% sure what product you now call VM Pro.  I was a beta tester of the original debugger and received a license as a result of that.  I made sure to activate the license in my current VS 2015 with latest VM plugin.  I assume this means I am now using the latest "Pro" version.  It did not change anything with my results.

If my Debugger key is not the same as the "Pro" version, then please send me the key I need and I'll try again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint