Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic migration from arduino libraries problems (Read 4050 times)
sam
Newbies

migration from arduino libraries problems
Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Hi, 
After years with Arduino IDE and Visual Studio C# (currently VS2013) separately, I try now to use VisualMicro ('VM') for my Arduino programs that compile and run nicely with the Arduino IDE.
Unfortunately, although I copied all Arduino libraries, I keep getting problems compiling with VM.
Example: I use the avr/interrupt for the Arduino, but even if the lib exists in the MV libs and included, it is not recognized.
Same problem with TimerThree, EEPROM.
Any helpful idea? 
Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: migration from arduino libraries problems
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Sorry I am not entirely clear about your report so let me ask some questions, give some info and forgive me if I have misunderstood.

Quote:
even if the lib exists in the MV libs and included, it is not recognized

1) There isn't a VM or MV libs. Visual Micro uses the same configuration as the arduino ide so expects the libraries to be in the same place as they are when working in the arduino ide. Unles using some of the advanced VM features user libraries will always be found in documents\arduino\libraries or wherever the "arduino sketch book" has been set to.

Often users enter a value for the "optional sketch book location" when configuration visual micro which is a mistake because leaving it empty ensures the same location the arduino ide is using. If you have entered a value your user installed libraries via the arduino ide won't be found by visual micro.

2) When making reports please state ide versions (visual studio and arduino)

3) Often, the different arduino hardware has different libraries so it is always important to state which board/hardware you are using.

4) TimerThree is a use library, EEPROM is normally installed with the hardware so this suggests an inititial configuration issue.

5) There should not be a migration of code from arduino to visual micro. The exact same code should work in both Ide's with the exact same configuration

If you are unable to provide information about your configuration then please switch on "vmicro>compiler>show build properties" and "verbose" then build and post the output as a .txt or email to info[at]visualmicro.com with a link to this post.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:40pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

sam
Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Thank you Tim for prompt and detailed reply.
I can send you the full 4 pages verbose report, but before I do I would like to make some comments and ask some questions in order to make it as close as possible to the correct setting/
1. I started the VM on a computer different from the one on which I usually run my Arduinos and opened a new solution 
2. My Arduino (1.6.4) folder (on the new computer) is under \Program Files (86).
3. I copied all libraries from my Arduino computer to that folder.
4. I pasted my Arduino project (approx 2000 lines) onto my VS 2013 with VM.
By default, Microsoft VS places all its projects under \Documents\visual Studio 2013\Projects, and that is where my project is placed at.

If possible, can you please instruct on how to install and start Visual Micro project on a clean computer with VS2013, including the moved Arduino projects and libraries?
Thanks
Sam

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Arduino 1,6,4 is old but still supported however you should look to use 1.6.11 because since 1.6.6 arduino has changed where it installs new hardware and produced a lot of new build properties that might cause problems when you install new hardware in the future. It's a good time to make life easier and keep up to date.

Let's step back slightly and prove your basic installation works and that you understand how visual micro works with arduino in visual studio.

Please follow the first steps in the documentation:-
http://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=index

When you have blink build please use the Add Library vMicro menu to add EEPROM then confirm if you you have build issues or not.

Thanks

IP Logged

sam
Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks again for the information.
Following a 'clean' new install I seem to have succeeded, but not easily  (and I'm no newbie!)

I still have a problem with the EEPROM library: Although it is present and recognized and can be opened in the include list, it still gives a compilation error for both read and write: error: 'EEPROM' was not declared in this scope
   EEPROM.write(baseAddress + s, *((byte*)&config_data + s))
Have tried many different locations for the library with refreshes, tried the avr/EEPROM, did new lib installation,  but for no avail. It gives the same error. (I had it running with my previous Arduino IDE).
Any idea?
Thanks
sam

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Sorry to say a whole bunch of factors came together and caused some issues in the past few weeks.

I expect that mature older installs were more affected.

There is a 1609.4 release that hopefully fixes everything.

Thanks very much for the report and sorry for the hassle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint