Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pin/Register status windows in VS2015/17? (Read 2944 times)
Jonas Grumby
Newbies

Pin/Register status windows in VS2015/17?
May 5th, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Really more of a question than a request:

VS2015/17 does not seem to have a pin status or port register window.  The "classic" (serial-driven) VM debugger has these, which are nice features.  VS 15/17 does have a register window, which is useful for assembly-level debugging, but that's about all I could see.  

I tried (unsuccessfully) to have a look at the SAMD21 datasheet in the hope that the register status might show up as a handful of bytes in RAM somewhere, from which I could use one of the Memory Watch windows in VS to monitor.  I had no such luck.

I may try to get the VM Arduino environment with GDB going in Atmel Studio (VS), and will report any success there. My experience with a JTAG in AS is that AS has built-in port/register debug windows.  I will report back what I find.

In the meantime, any clever thought or suggestions would be welcome.  

Thanks all!

-Jonas

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Pin/Register status windows in VS2015/17?
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2017 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks very much for the post. 

I haven't tried it much yet but the gdb "Registers" window is there, + the console commands are available in the "Command Window" using command Debug.MIExec. If you type Debug.MIExec help and then press ENTER it should give you some clues.

I agree the Atmel Debug tools are really good. btw: In atmel studio you can either use arduino upload and atmel debug or atmel upload and atmel debug.

The only issue with atmel studio native debug is that it doesn't like .ino files. So you will see notes in the build output explaining how to clone the .ino code into a .cpp file.

Notes

I assume you have used "toggle hidden files" to automatically add read-only shortcuts to the underlying sources in the project. and also switched off the relevant optimization during your tests? 

Did you try adding a watch expression for an entire port PORT? I haven't tried that yet. 

You can see the "Registers",  "immediates" and the "command window" in he picture below. They are a little small but should help.

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2017 at 1:20am by Tim@Visual Micro »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint