Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tutorial and Step Debugging (Read 6449 times)
AndyMM
Newbies

Tutorial and Step Debugging
May 3rd, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I am running my trial, I think. Honestly how can I even tell if I am running the evaluation version of Pro?  I am in tutorial mode and I'm trying to do this step by step as directed on the tutorial page but it is not working.

I seem to have everything squared away and I can follow all the way up until I load the blinkwithoutdelay program. I can tell it is loaded onto the board. It is indeed blinking. However the breakpoint isn't autoselected on loop despite tutorial being checked. Also when I try to run it on an additional program and try to debug I get a pop up saying "Please select a connected tool and interface and try again." Can someone tell me if I missed something?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Tutorial and Step Debugging
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
One example: When the trial or purchased license is enabled the options on the "vMicro>Debugger" menu are enabled. A project must be open to see the Debugger menu.

When Debug mode is enabled the build says " Compiling debug version of 'sketch name' for 'board name' "

When Release mode is enabled the build says "Compiling 'sketch name' for 'board name'" 

By default the menu item "vMicro>Debugger>Automatic Debugging" is enabled which means that when you change the tool bar configuration name from "Release" to "Debug", the debugger will become active when you next build and upload.

note

If the above hints still do not allow debug to appear after upload then make sure you have not changed the global visual micro options called "Pause Pro Features". The option must be False which is the default. tools>options>visual micro>pause pro features

IP Logged

AndyMM
Newbies

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Well looks like everything is greyed out on that menu. How do I get back to the page where I initiate my trial version now that I've continued past that window?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2018 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Is there a "vMicro>Try, Buy Activate" menu item?

IP Logged

AndyMM
Newbies

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 8:41pm:
Is there a "vMicro>Try, Buy Activate" menu item?

I went into the vMicro>Debugger>and clicked Atmel Studio Debugger to remove the check mark and all the options became selectable. The breakpoint still doesnt appear in the tutorial mode but at least the functionality is there now.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Yes if you had switched on atmel studio debugging then that overrides the usb/serial debug.

Is "vMicro>General>Tutorial Mode" enabled?

IP Logged

AndyMM
Newbies

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2018 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 9:01pm:
Yes if you had switched on atmel studio debugging then that overrides the usb/serial debug.

Is "vMicro>General>Tutorial Mode" enabled?

It is enabled but it did not have the breakpoint preloaded as described. No matter however. I followed the examples and completed the first tutorial. I'm off to the races and debugging my own programs. Thanks for the quick responses though. I'm sure I'll be picking up the pro version as I'm getting tired of serial print debugging.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2018 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Sorry forgot to add that means you had a break-point in another project in the solution (or one had been added automatically, it only adds one demo per solution when tutorials are enabled).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint